Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:13 am
Since Darren put in a request for it (and we always try to please) we'll do the westerly route on Saturday. Flat first part, lumpy in the middle, flat return so hopefully will work in terms of keeping things together at least until we're on the way back. For the newcomers:- route is York- Appleton Roebuck - Tadcaster - Bramham - Thorner - Scholes - Barwick-in-Elmet - Aberford - Sherburn - Cawood - York (usually with a circuit of the roads around Bishop Wood prior to Cawood on the way back).

9:00 in the square...

by willhub Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:41 am
Awesome route, I use round there regular in fact am off that way today.

by rjpaddy1 Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:13 pm
I've been doing a bit of thinking regarding where I am with cycling (fitness levels) and how long I’ve been involved in the sport.

My gut feeling at this stage would be to perhaps drop down a group (intermediate I think it is?).

When do the above rides occur, at what time and where from?

by AndyM Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:12 pm
Intermediate rides are Saturday, 10am from the square :)

I won't be out saturday as I've planned to cycle to the Lake District on monday so will be resting my legs, which will be a bit of a challenge for me I think.

Have a good ride everyone!

by Jon G Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:47 pm
This is going to sound like abit of a gripe but have noticed twice now on this thread and a previous one that the intemediate ride on a Saturday seems to be mentioned as an alternative to the training ride. I would like to point out that the intermediate ride is a social ride with a cafe stop and I would hate to think that people thinking of coming along would be put off thinking if they got dropped then your on your own which obviously isn't the case on the social rides. Its not a wonder that these rides are getting faster :wink:
Just thought I'd get that of my chest :)

Jon

by rjpaddy1 Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:48 pm
I'm more than happy with the social element and cafe stop and would like to see if this format is for me?

At what time and where does the ride go from on Sat?

by nigelt Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:20 pm
I take it the Sunday run at 9am will still be on? I can't make saturday this week but would like to get out Sun. I take it the Sunday run is also a social affair with cafe stop? How long is it likely to be (in terms of both time and distance)? :D :D

by AndyM Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:25 am
rjpaddy1 wrote:At what time and where does the ride go from on Sat?

Read up a bit :wink:

AndyMyers wrote:Intermediate rides are Saturday, 10am from the square :)

And Nigel, I think the Sunday club runs are of similar distance to intermediate rides, so about 80 or 90 miles, and will probably be back in York for around 3 or half past. I'm sure Jon or Rob will confirm this for me though.

Hope this helps :)

by nigelt Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:06 pm
That sounds good! Thanks :D :D

by PhilBixby Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:34 am
Just to chip in on some of the comments above...

The intermediate Saturday ride is indeed a different beast to the training ride. It's longer and at a steadier pace and is generally more social (ie you should be going at a pace where conversation is possible, at least some of the time...) along with the cafe stop. The training ride is very much aimed at people who are racing or aiming to race this year.

For anyone aiming to start racing next year then the intermediate rides are probably more useful in that you don't need the top-end speed right now but the endurance base and bike handling are useful. The training rides usually peter out after the last races of the season (end Sept) and then re-start around Xmas / New Year - depending on the weather...

It might be useful to have a pub night sometime in October for anyone thinking about racing next year, just for some feedback on experiences this year, chat about training needs etc.

by willhub Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:04 pm
Seems to me the training rides offer enough base no? I get between 70 and 90 miles on em and if I was to road race, I'd not be racing over 70 miles unless I was cat 1/2 and not planning on doing a 100 mile TT it seems enough.

by PhilBixby Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:12 pm
Distance-wise as you say, Will, they're longer than most average races (at our level) but there are plenty of theories around that real "base miles" rides should be longer and steadier because...

-Steady rides work different physiological systems. Riding hard so you use up all your glycogen has a different effect to riding steady where you train your body to use fat and to preserve the glycogen stores, and
-Riding very fast in a bunch (especially for newcomers) means pretty much all the attention is used avoiding causing pile-ups and sticking on the wheel in front by any available means, rather than having time to keep attention on cadence, pedalling action, relaxed posture etc which are all good things to have a handle on before moving on to the flat-out stuff.

So, these rides are good for those who are racing and want the "one long ride a week" to keep endurance fitness, but maybe not so good for those looking at building up to competing next year.

I've also seen theories about how the body builds up oxygen-carrying capacity in the blood which suggest that lots of steady miles are beneficial before you up the intensity. But that's all getting a bit technical, and Darren will be shaking his head and smiling by now...

by Cam B Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:45 pm
I should be out tomorrow. I will see you on route - by 'Terrys' on Bishopthorpe Rd

Cam

by willhub Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:32 am
Good ride today, I got home for 11, I'd normally be still asleep if I never rode :p

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/106073410

Check one of the last garmin laps, 29mph avg for 4 miles, I bet you were all flying down that straight after Cawood Bridge bang on tailwind :D

I think I was going well but for some reason I felt crap, getting really annoying I'm having more crap days than good days, I even took 3 days off and felt very fresh this morning. I had a glass of juice and 2 slices of toast, then on the ride I had one mouthful of mars bar at the square so should be enough.

by PhilBixby Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:41 am
A small group and a good ride this morning - six starters and a headwind all the way out to Thorner. The damp roads quickly dried and the sun was out by halfway round. Just about all stuck together and, as Will says, it was pretty brisk; 21.5mph and 240W+ normalised power for the out-of-town bit.

But was it any use? I had a bizarre exchange on the way to the square when a bloke (I'd guess in his fifties, so about my age) pulled up alongside me at the lights. "When I first started riding a bike as a kid my dad told me to always keep it in a big gear so it made yer muscles stronger, and I still do. It may knacker my chain..." "..and your knees", I suggested "Oh I'm not worried about them. Whenever I see someone like you or some k***head about eighteen come pedalling past with his legs all up and down I think:- what exercise is he getting, eh? I'm just being cynical. Oh, me, I'm off to walk across the Pennines next week..." and then the lights, thankfully, changed.... :roll: