Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by Cyan Skymoos Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:59 pm
Ribena in the bottle Will, works a treat but white bottle cages go purple after a while.
98 miles and home well before one o'clock.. that's a training ride, steady start, brisk bit and bit in the middle and pick the pace up in the last third...I hope everyone got something out of it.

by paulM Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:17 pm
Left the house at 0850 and was back in it at 1145 with 61 miles on the clock and a 22mph average door to door. Good ride everyone!

by rjpaddy1 Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:14 am
I really enjoyed Saturday, although the pace nailed me in the end!

It was useful in terms of group riding education and exercise intensity.

I would like to continue to attend the club rides but at this stage don't know if rides such as Saturday's are appropriate?

I guess the options are drop down a level (If these training rides exist on a regular basis?) and work my way back up or continue with Saturday's group and if I get dropped make my way back?

Your thoughts on the direction I should take would be very much appreciated.

Rich.

by willhub Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:36 am
Did you keep with the group? If so I'm sure it should be ok to keep on doing it, every time you'll find it that little bit easier.

Nothing wrong with getting dropped if you know your way back, you'll last longer each time.

by Cyan Skymoos Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:37 am
I suppose it depends what it is you want to do Rich...I think the training ride is for people who want to or are racing.
Training rides I've been on in the past have been no quicker than the intermediates, but saturday was definately faster...the way it should be in my opinion. A bit of a kicking never hurt anyone, I know I've had plenty, I reckon it makes you stronger, but I'm old school.

by willhub Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:43 am
Cyan Skymoos wrote:I suppose it depends what it is you want to do Rich...I think the training ride is for people who want to or are racing.
Training rides I've been on in the past have been no quicker than the intermediates, but saturday was definately faster...the way it should be in my opinion. A bit of a kicking never hurt anyone, I know I've had plenty, I reckon it makes you stronger, but I'm old school.

You were giving the kicking on Sat everyone else was taking it :lol:

by rjpaddy1 Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:45 am
I'd be happy with coming along to the same group ride as last Saturday's and gradually building my fitness up.

The aim is to start racing next season and I certainly enjoy the high intensity work.

My body generally responds well to training so I wouldn't imagine it'd be to long before I wasn't getting dropped???

Rich.

by Cyan Skymoos Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:58 am
The thing with a training ride is everyone wants to get something out of it, you won't see me winding legs off on the K ride.
After the Milby circuit when I felt it was just getting going everyone sat up, but that's the time to split in to groups and finish hard, I just went to the front and forced a selection. I don't know how the group behind worked but us 4 worked well and got a decent work out, I didn't ride any longer or any faster than you, Paul or the other guy(sorry didn't know him).

by PhilBixby Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:54 am
As Darren says, the Saturday rides are very much aimed at people who are, or are planning on, racing. At this time of year pretty much everyone's going about as quick as they're going to go, so they're harder to start off with. You were going pretty well though, Rich, so I'd suggest two options. You could carry on coming out on the training rides and I'm sure you'd quickly get the required extra bit of oomph to stay with them, or you could switch to the intermediate rides for the summer - longer and less focussed on racing but a good way to take in some wonderful countryside and generally build up the fitness. The training rides tend to take a couple of months off around the end of Sept, and then when they re-start everyone's working towards next season (apart from the cyclocrossers...) so everyone's starting at a lower level after a bit of recovery.

by rjpaddy1 Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:14 am
I'll come along to the training rides and see how I get on?

Like I say I'll be looking to start racing next season so any help and experience will be beneficial at this stage.

by Jess Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:36 am
Speaking from experience of being dropped on these rides (fairly frequently when I first started!) I'd say definitely hang on in there Rich - you were looking pretty good.

For what it's worth I found Sat pretty hard going and probably one of the faster rides we have done - It's also one of the longer routes - For me that's a stamina/food thing (will I ever learn?) - I was destroyed near the end though & Will really had to tow me the last 10 miles. :wink:

Anyway, best strategy is, keep showing up, (the pace varies depending on who's out) - always make sure you know your way home (though we are a friendly bunch & you'll usually get picked up again by some kind soul) and just keep going until you don't get dropped any more. (I am still waiting for this day...) :D

by Cyan Skymoos Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:50 am
Don't turn yourself inside out to do a turn on the front, and then go straight out of the back....I see this all the time.., just miss a few turns if you are on the limit, no one will mind if you sit in the wheels for a bit. If you read back you'll notice how Will's pulse was about 20bpm higher when taking a turn on the front.

by rjpaddy1 Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:58 am
Sounds like good advice and yes as I expected there was a dramatic increase in HR whilst I was at the front of the group.

I guess at this stage it's a learning curve but an enjoyable one at that.

by hinch Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:01 pm
Just wanted to also say thanks to everyone on Saturday, thoroughly enjoyed myself, was just starting to feel the pain on the A168 when pop a spoke went (felt a slight bit of relief at getting a rest though).

Thanks Phil for stopping and checking things over.

Limped back to Strensall via Aldwark bridge and stopped in at Cyclescene, Wigginton where the kind gentleman sorted me out for free.

Hope to see you all again on Saturday, any ideas on the route?

by willhub Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:39 pm
I'm looking forward to Saturday if there is a training ride on.

I'm not really doing any racing this year anymore, might do a few more TT's but I'm going to do loads of TTs next year hopefully, the main reason I use these training rides is to put speed into my legs, I'm aiming to get under the hour in 25 next year but I want to be aiming for 55 mins or better.