Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by rjpaddy1 Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:16 pm
Hi!

I am looking at the possibility of joining the club and would like to attend one of your training rides to get a feel for things.

Are there any training rides this Saturday (30.07.11)?

I ride at around 18-20mph and have ridden up to 70 miles.

Richard Padwell

by PhilBixby Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:32 pm
Hi Richard

I'll be out this Saturday so yes, there'll be a training ride kicking off at 9:00am from outside the art gallery. I'll suggest a route sometime midweek. At the speeds you mentioned you should be fine but just take a look at the map nearer the time so you know where the ride's heading, and if you do find you need/want to make your own way back at any point then you're not lost in the middle of nowhere. Ride is usually just under 3hrs. Fingers crossed for better weather than the last one I went out on!

by rjpaddy1 Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:52 am
Sounds good Phil!

I'll look forward to it!

by willhub Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:57 am
I be out also.

by PhilBixby Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:33 am
Okay:- upcoming Saturday. I suggest we do the "North" route up to Boroughbridge and then do a couple of laps of the Kirby Hill circuit, maybe split into smaller groups so people can all ride close to their abilities.

Main reason for this is I've been struck (literally, in one case) by how poor lots of riders are at paceline riding - the first group in the EYRRL TLI events is usually a shambles and gets caught not due to lack of speed but lack of organisation. The run up the A168 is excellent practice territory.

Richard:- route is York - Tockwith - Walshford - Boroughbridge - Helperby - Easingwold - Crayke - Huby - York, just so you know roughly where we're headed.

9:00 in the square!

by Broom Wagon Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:53 am
Sounds good - I be out also :wink:

by Dan Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:53 am
Is the “North” route a relatively flat circuit? Or flatter than the one to Malton and back through Castle Howard? I’m no good on hills at speed but thinking about coming out.

by nigelt Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:21 pm
I'm also looking to come out this Saturday. I was out a couple of saturdays ago in the pouring rain and went out with the 10am ride onto the Wolds. Howard stated that I should be okay with an intermediate group and the pace of the training ride at 18-20mph sounds about right. I have NO experience of pace line riding so sounds like a good time to learn. Hope to see you all then...

by Dr Dave Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:26 pm
Probably have an all day pass next Saturday so likely do one of Kev's groups.

Looks like if Will and a few newcomers are going to be doing the training ride this week - should be 'interesting' ;)

by PhilBixby Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:56 pm
Dan:- yes, there are a some bumps here and there - and the A168 has ups and downs that you only really notice when doing a "25" up and down it, but it's gentler than the Malton route.

We'll have a chat about technique before the off and further "rolling chats" as necessary :wink:

by rjpaddy1 Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:15 pm
I like the sound of the training ride and the additional pacing element.

Will look forward to meeting everyone!

Rich.

by MichaelCarter Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:37 pm
I'll be out too and this week I'm not having any Guinness the night before!

Michael

by nigelt Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:22 pm
Good ride today guys, thanks for being so sociable and making sure we all kept together, at least until we left Helperby!

Fantastic ride, hard but good to be out with a group. Will definitely be joining you again :D :D :D

Nigel

by PhilBixby Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:29 pm
A big group out today on the training ride; I failed to do a proper head-count but I reckon sixteen or thereabouts. Consequently we took up a fair bit of road on the way out of town, but no-one seemed to object. A mix of old hands and newcomers too. Well done to the latter - everyone (with the exception of one exit with a broken spoke) was still there after a brisk length of the A168 and a brisker lap of the Milby circuit, and it was only when Darren cranked up the pace on the return leg that it started stretching out a bit. I dropped back to make sure the first stragglers knew their way home and then spent the rest of the ride TT'ing after the bunch. 60 miles in 2hrs 55min, so just over 21mph average and 223W normalised power.

by willhub Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:46 pm
Was a good ride that, I don't know the real name but was it Cyan Skymoos? What was you on did you have nos in your bottles, no matter how hard even when we split and you was on the front you seemed to be finding it so easy!
:shock:

I certainly found today a good workout and hopefully will get stronger, I found myself pretty stiff and knackered this morning and muscles hurting that I never knew existed after going round this Go Ape thing at Dalby Forest yesterday, I'm gonna have to do the red route on a MTB sometime looks epic.

Anyways it was good to finally get in a group ride again, I think the last time I was in one was the three bridges, and I've not done a chain gang for ages!

When me, PaulM, don't know other guys name?, Cyan Skymoos? split it only got harder but was fun, I don't think we ever dropped below 25mph much!, behind I found my HR around 145-165, but on the front was hitting 185+, pushing 27mph+ it just went through the roof.

I got in 87 miles @ 21.5mph average, I think we averaged around 24mph for 38 miles which is pretty good I think. I stopped off at Haxby Cycles, then went home at tempo pace for the last 16 miles.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/102744378