Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by willhub Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:34 pm
will doing 2x 20 min intervals be beneficial for 10 mile and 25 mile time trials?

What about 5 min intervals?

Also would doing a 20 mile circuit at TT pace be beneficial too?

I'm not keen on turbos but I'm going to give it a try if it means it'll help my TT times go down as I've not started TT specific training yet and am down to a 23:41 but I want to aim for 21 minutes and under at the best for 10's and just getting under the hour then better for a 25 mile.

On the turbo I find it easy to hold 182 constant, something I find hard on the road.

Cheers.
by Dr Dave Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:30 pm
willhub wrote:will doing 2x 20 min intervals be beneficial for 10 mile and 25 mile time trials?

What about 5 min intervals?

Also would doing a 20 mile circuit at TT pace be beneficial too?

I'm not keen on turbos but I'm going to give it a try if it means it'll help my TT times go down as I've not started TT specific training yet and am down to a 23:41 but I want to aim for 21 minutes and under at the best for 10's and just getting under the hour then better for a 25 mile.

On the turbo I find it easy to hold 182 constant, something I find hard on the road.

Cheers.

Back from Manchester Will?

I assume you mean 182 beats per minute rather than watts?

I'm no expert but TTing is about maintaining power for the duration of your ride - in the case of a 10 or 25 that means from 20 mins to just over an hour. This is aerobic so longer sustained rides are more appropriate than short intervals. It's a bit late in the season to start on the lower zones stuff so I guess the 2x20s would be OK at around your upper LT heart rate....

by willhub Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:33 pm
Yeah BPM, I'm finding for around 30 minutes I can hold around 300W maybe abit over.

I'll start at these 2x 20s and see what it does.

Cheers.