Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:50 am
Clifton is in discussions with York St.Johns about a programme of support and events for the club. This may well include winter seminars and stuff like that but could also include testing (as was taken up previously by some of the MTBers), provision of training plans and ongoing support including re-testing. YSJ can't do it for free so there are costs attached, but it should be competitive and they're well equipped. If any of you are interested in this, then post on here so we have some idea of numbers. We could also talk to YSJ about testing this autumn, so you can have a peak 2011 > peak 2012 comparison to gauge progress.

by Tullio Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:44 am
Just to add to Phil's note, perhaps we could widen this thread to get ideas of what members would like in the way of Sports Science support from YSJ.

The Committee are in discussion about some tailored support based on what we think you'd like but we could with some input from you all.

At the moment we're concentrating on 3 levels;

- Generic material - raw material in the main areas of Nutrition, Strength/conditioning and sports psychology

- More tailored material - probably delivered as a series of seminars

- One 2 One material - testing, coaching, guidance, advice

by Dr Dave Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:35 am
Might well be interested in some testing - purely out of interest. I assume we're talking FTP, V02 Max etc?

by willhub Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:45 am
I might be interested cause I'd like to find out my V02 max.

by JSimon Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:03 am
I might be interested... subject to costs :wink:

by Cyan Skymoos Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:08 pm
Might be interested in a test, just to see what the figures say about me, subject to cost...not interested in the coaching, nutrition advice etc, winter miles, summer smiles is alll I need to know.

by Dr Dave Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:38 pm
willhub wrote:I might be interested cause I'd like to find out my V02 max.

What about your time-trial position and stem height Will? ;)

by caja27 Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:50 am
Definitely interested! Great initiative :lol:

by tomf Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:09 pm
interested!

by Ed Hinton Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:10 pm
I'm interested.

by Broom Wagon Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:29 pm
I'm interested.

by RichT Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:55 pm
And me.

by MarkA Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:54 am
We definitely need something but just wonder if YSJ is the way to go?

I was not impressed with communication and lets say interest appeared to vary with people disappearing for periods of time, unanswered emails etc. Nevertheless there is pressure on all organisations to tick the "community" box, and they do have a lot of testing kit, so perhaps our mileage may vary this time.

The thing that i thought was a success last time were the seminars which were also an opportunity for new members to get to know a few people (other than riding).

On the coaching front. Ok i am not exactly Bradley Wiggins but i would want to see some proven background / track record before parting with any hard pressed funds or even more hard pressed time. Most important would be a commitment to at least see out the season and not disappear half way through.

I seem to remember there was a chap from Hull way who contacted club offering services. May be another option.

Another chap i have met recently is Mike Hattan who has a proven cycling background and works as mk1massage in town.

by MarkA Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:22 am
And here's another thought

We have a lot of knowledge in the club: perhaps we could do a Q & A type session where we ask likes of Rob O / Paul M and Billy (coach) to say a few words and then field questions respond with what they have tried / works / things to avoid; all in their experience of course - sure we would all pick something up from session like that even.

And sticking our neck out a bit we have some v fast friends in Cycleworks not to mention Philip Graves who may be happy to either sit in or else offer some advice??

by Tim r Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:38 pm
Sorry I've only just found this topic.
Is any update available at all as I will need something to look forward to now that the nights are drawing in!