Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:33 pm
Ahhhhh welcome to the world of grumpy race organisers - you should hear me on a bad day.

I've posted a link to this before but I'll do it again - usual warnings re bad language - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5CJXvWXkK8. That's why they're always in a bad mood!

Helpers still needed for the club RR's on Sunday 10th per-leeeeaaaase (Toby's already volunteered so he's off the hook!)....

by paulM Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:26 pm
"Well I've applied. Money has gone out and received anteater in tue post, but no name on the start list, spooky"

You received an anteater through the post? If you need any ants - just let me know we've got loads to spare!

by Tobzlerone Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:22 pm
Haa.. I didn't realise :p Silly predictive text,

Didn't go tonight as I was coming down with a cold.. And It's hard enough as it is so decided there was t any point :/
Tobz

by Tobzlerone Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:24 pm
Haa.. I didn't realise :p Silly predictive text,

Didn't go tonight as I was coming down with a cold.. And It's hard enough as it is so decided there was t any point :/
Tobz

by PhilBixby Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:57 am
It was indeed hard enough, anteaters or not. A dramatic-looking evening with massive downpours roaming around and terrific views from the top of Newbald Hill.

Clifton again out in force with Tim, Tom, Jacques, Rich and Simon plus me, all setting off in the first group (4ths) with half a dozen 3rds three minutes back and a mixed bunch of E/1/2's a further three minutes later. Our group wasn't exactly smoooooooth, but then it wasn't easy with wet roads, piles of gravel, ups and downs and a few very swift blokes cranking up the pace.

I'll let the others post their views of it but mine went pearshaped when I slipped off the back of our group halfway up the first run up the big hill - HR was firmly established at "max" and the pedals just wouldn't go round quick enough. It was a solo ride thereafter with both the faster groups breezing past so fast that there was no chance to jump in. Eventually mentiknap (in whose honour Vomit Hill was named) and another fella joined me for the remains of the third lap before we did the lazy thing and stopped at the bell to watch the fit lads battle it out. At least a couple of the 4ths were fighting it out with the E/1/2's at the line - see, said they were swift.

by tomf Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:31 pm
Puncture for me, half way round the first lap; a sharp piece gravel went straight through tyre and tube in almost exactly the same spot that I got a flat on my last race on this circuit. Was feeling good despite the rain, but I hadn't ridden puke hill even once in anger so who knows... got a lift back with the photographer (via a detour to snap all the groups on their second lap), fixed the puncture and rode the hill three times against the glorious setting sun as punishment...
tom

by JSimon Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:37 pm
First real road race for me. I had to make up for Tuesday’s Tockwith disaster and hoped that hills would suit me better. Thanks to Tim for looking out for me and for giving advice throughout the race.

After the first lap I was pretty tired already and didn’t know for how much longer I would manage to keep in the group. However, I think other riders must have felt the same as the pace dropped slightly on the second lap (or at least I felt more comfortable). The hill is quite a challenge... I didn’t mind the steep bits but the long almost flat part towards the finish really wore me down, it just didn’t seem to have an end to it (obviously the steep bits just before didn’t help :)). On the third lap I was following the wrong wheel in the hill and a group of 8-10 riders managed to break away. I like to think that I could have stayed in the first group if I had been on the right wheel but I’ll never find out :roll: ... 7 of us formed a pursuing group but the first group had gone. The last time up the hill I lacked the mental strength to fight for a place and eased off a bit.

Even though I didn’t manage to stay with the first bunch I was quite happy with my performance. The computer showed an average of over 23mph, not bad for a course like that I would think. I’m looking forward to more races like that. Unfortunately I’m away for the Clifton race in Newbald.

by PhilBixby Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:44 am
Next week's Peter Taylor Memorial RR is... "...cancelled due to lack of entries. Up to the closing date only 20 riders had entered and which is insufficient to justify the event. [The organiser] is returning entries over the next few days."

Hey ho - everyone wants to race but no-one wants to enter..!