Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Thu May 05, 2011 5:26 pm
Well, a few of us will be resting up for Steve Rigby RR and a few of the elderly gentlefolk will be saving themselves for the Derek Smith vets race on Sunday (mind you if I know Dave Cook he'll be out doing a 100 TT or something like that) but with no circuit races or sportives I'm guessing there should be a few out for the training ride on Saturday. Does someone fancy choosing a route and seeing everyone round?

by dave c Fri May 06, 2011 6:53 am
few of the elderly gentlefolk will be saving themselves for the Derek Smith vets race on Sunday (mind you if I know Dave Cook he'll be out doing a 100 TT or something like that)

Funnily enough I am doing the Alpine-Rootz 18 mile TT on Saturday!
by timj Fri May 06, 2011 5:24 pm
hard core! Cam i quess you know you are a reserve at Steve Rigby worth going prob.

by RichT Fri May 06, 2011 6:47 pm
Anyone up for the east or north route tomorrow?

by JSimon Fri May 06, 2011 7:27 pm
I'll be out tomorrow. I don't have an opinion on the route though as I don't know the area yet.

by willhub Fri May 06, 2011 8:45 pm
What is the format of these training rides?

Are they chaingang basically? Or just pushing hard on the front for 5 mins?

by PhilBixby Fri May 06, 2011 9:52 pm
I'm copying and pasting this from a previous query on a previous thread (because I'm basically lazy):-

"They're brisk, where "brisk" =

- a pace that the bulk of the people who turn up can maintain for three hours, but you wouldn't want to go much further
- Everyone takes turns on the front to share the work
- Maintaining concentration so being aware of keeping the effort up all the time, but subtly - no vanishing off the front at high speed
- when you're on the front you put in enough work that you don't want to be there for more than a couple of minutes max. Everyone behind you wants to still be working, not soft-pedalling to avoid running into your back wheel
- keep the effort steady rather than the speed, so keep it steady on the hills (unless you personally really want to hammer it, in which case ease off at the top until you're caught by the rest) and pedal on downhills where poss..

....anyone got any better definitions?

Just to repeat:- I'm assuming that everyone who is racing (yes okay, please don't anyone get going about EYRRL etc...) is doing higher-intensity stuff some other time, someplace else and that this ride is about tempo/endurance stuff. If you're not, you'll get a big surprise when the flag drops!"

End of quote - hope that's sufficient! It's not chaingang pace because it's further (although it may include a faster session on suitably quiet roads towards the end) and it's not a substitute for road racing. But it's good training for it...

by willhub Fri May 06, 2011 10:03 pm
Ok, sounds like I'll get battered but I'll just drop off and turn off when I get tired out.

by Cyan Skymoos Fri May 06, 2011 10:08 pm
The training rides aren't as fast as you were riding in February Will, so I think you'll be fine.

by willhub Fri May 06, 2011 10:13 pm
Cyan Skymoos wrote:The training rides aren't as fast as you were riding in February Will, so I think you'll be fine.

They must be faster than that? Club runs are around 18-19mph.

PS - I think user permissions are messed up I can edit peoples posts in this section (not that I would)!

by cliftoncc Fri May 06, 2011 10:40 pm
willhub wrote: PS - I think user permissions are messed up I can edit peoples posts in this section (not that I would)!

Try now

by willhub Fri May 06, 2011 10:45 pm
cliftoncc wrote:
willhub wrote: PS - I think user permissions are messed up I can edit peoples posts in this section (not that I would)!

Try now

That's better :D

by willhub Fri May 06, 2011 10:45 pm
Although I can't edit my own posts.
by Cam B Sat May 07, 2011 6:45 am
timj wrote:hard core! Cam i quess you know you are a reserve at Steve Rigby worth going prob.

I am down as a reserve for the Hull Thursday RR a week on Sunday but this Sunday I am planning to turn up at the Derek Smith Vets Race to see if I can have a ride.Tim...have a good ride in the Steve Rigby

Cam

by PhilBixby Sat May 07, 2011 8:07 am
Enjoy the Derek Smith, Cam. I think Tim meant Hull Thursday - no sign of you on the Steve Rigby reserve list.