Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by Jess Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:32 pm
Tonight was my first experience of the Tockwith series - set off pretty quick & there was a fair amount of dodgy riding on the corners so I backed off a bit & quickly found myself at the back.

A few dropped off & I had to give myself a bit of a talking to to push back on & move into the group more, where I settled down, but there was still some odd riding that made me a bit twitchy on the brakes (I ended up doing some dodgy riding of my own occasionally I think...:oops:)

That said, I managed to stay well enough and I finished in the second half of the bunch (though I must have sprinted less hard Andy as I only had 24.8mph av! )

Was quite a variable pace & I need to work on the sprint, but I think the main thing is having confidence to push on when everyone is close around you doing silly things. Guess that will come!

Good evening's riding & was great to see all the Clifton guys out & looking strong. Well done team! :D

by Cam B Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:30 pm
Too echo what others have said...good fun last night.. but race commisar gave a sobering reminder of the risks in these sort of races when he told us that someone had smashed his knee after a fall last week. Again, some hair-raising manoevres and definitely made more sense to be near the top end of the bunch. Whilst it did not seem as windy last night it was just blowing from a different direction which seemed to scupper all attempts at a break. Well done to Reuben for a making a mighty effort for one of the primes and also for coming thru strongly at the finish....

by JSimon Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:48 pm
Second race for me last night, first of the Tockwith series. It was totally different to the one in Scarborough, mainly due to a much larger field (how many were there? Someone mentioned 70!).

I liked the surface and the speed but sometimes it got scary. Very hard to move to the front and as soon as you made it you were pushed back again. In my opinion you need to start moving up at least 3 laps before the finish to even have a chance to find yourself in a good position with 1 lap to go because at that point everyone will try to move to the front.

Maybe we could try to have 3 or 4 people taking turns at the front to keep up the pace 2-3 laps before the finish to make it harder for other riders to move to the front? But I'm just a greenhorn so I might be totally wrong :lol:

by reubenbarrett Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:19 pm
Well done all on another great night racing!

Having decided I was going to sit in the bunch until 2 laps to go, I found myself contesting the second prime and losing by less than half a wheel. It took me a few laps to recover from that and the legs were not all there for the final sprint. I ended up somewhere around 15th.

Looking forward to the next series although I can't make the first few. Suspect they will be a bit quicker since 3rd and 4th cats!