Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by Dr Dave Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:59 pm
PhilBixby wrote:Likewise, entry returned today with apologies on it. May well contact the organiser about EOL after the first couple though - it quietened down last year. Meantime, for those of a certain age, plenty of upcoming vets races, and the the youngsters there's the Tockwith series!

Next year - if BC manages to get the necessary regulatory changes made so we can run/marshal races in North Yorkshire without the need for temporary traffic lights, it would be good to get the North Yorkshire series up and running again - either by supporting the Beldons (if they're up for it again) or by working with a group of other local clubs, as has happened with the Tockwith series.

Sounds like a plan! Work permitting I'd be keen to take part and take a share in helping out.

by tomf Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:46 pm
Good idea - was thinking of something similar. There's just too much demand for handicap racing, more than a single series can handle.

If North Yorks is still not hospitable to road racing, we could even consider setting up camp just across the Derwent in East Yorks. Pocklington is no further from York than Boroughbridge is, and there must be usable courses this side of the Wolds.

Book a pub meet for October, say?

by Broom Wagon Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:53 pm
Blast my entry returned too - so no-one from Clifton got a ride? Was it something we said - mindst you considering how effortlessly I was dropped on the chaingang on Tuesday it's probably a good thing :(

by PhilBixby Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:03 pm
"Was it something we said..."

The organisers just had too many entries from more local riders, and we weren't a priority. Which is fair enough really (even if the issue was perhaps a bit clumsily handled) - local clubs were supporting and marshalling. Hardly any of us had done any of the EYRRL races until the Boroughbridge series went ***s-up thanks to North Yorkshire Highways, so we couldn't really claim a lifelong friendship had been betrayed.

Next year, hopefully, we'll have more options.

by like my bike Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:17 pm
Thinking of a series ???

Look at the most successful BC leagues

North West - CDNW - http://www.cdnw.org/road_race_league.html

Sussex League - http://www.surreyleague.co.uk/

The Highways situation needs to be resolved but these leagues have everything else sorted.

Club affiliated to the league - commit to running 1 or 2 races

All riders (who have to be member of affiliated clubs must nominate 2-3 races they will marshal or provide a marshal)

You get a league of races

Both these league use active network to process entries, affiliations and marshaling duties.

A J

by Broom Wagon Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:20 pm
I'm with Tom, what about running a TLI series next year? The other side of the Derwent's good, the roads are quiet in the evenings and near my house (so that's good). Or how about a course in York City Council area - I believe York are not so anti as NYCC and perhaps we've got contacts with them already?

Lets have a pub night - sooner rather than later and everyone who's a regular on this section of the forum should come along and expect to get a job (perhaps except Phil - who already does more than enough, though maybe you could tell us what to do and we'll have to do it). We might even get to ride some of the races :lol:

by tomf Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:30 pm
Feels like a bit of momentum is building...
I took a look at the CDNW page; it's very interesting, and quite a different setup to the Yorkshire TLIs we know.
Online admin has to be a good move - this must help both competitors and organisers. But perhaps PayPal is something for the future.

As for a date, I think there's a Thursday evening in a couple of weeks when everyone will be at a loose end.

by PhilBixby Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:49 pm
Sounds like a good use of an unexpectedly vacant Thursday evening - how about it, everyone?

Suggestions:-

- If likemybike is available, it would be really good to have his input. You around that evening Andy? Buy you a drink?!?
- Would need at some point to decide whether to go down TLI route or BC. Can do handicap events with either - may boil down to level of support/back-up available/needed.
- I can informally sound out the other clubs involved in the Tockwith series to see if they'd be up for working together on a road series next year, if that would be a way we'd likely want to go
- As Broomwagon suggests, I'm rather up to my eyes with existing commitments, but am happy to pass on experience. Andy's organised loads of races so between us we should be able to draw up a pretty comprehensive "to do" list...

All of this of course relies on progress with the Highways/marshalling issue...

by like my bike Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:08 pm
Which Thursday ?

A J

by PhilBixby Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:29 pm
28th April - first night of the EYRRL...

...8:00pm, Brigantes?

by Broom Wagon Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:31 pm
Suits me.

by tomf Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:49 pm
+1

by like my bike Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:55 pm
Hi Guys will be there but not till 9.00pm

A J

by RichT Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:14 pm
And me.