Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by tomf Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:08 am
Rob wrote:
Dr Dave wrote:For someone with a family and a busy demanding job, to spend hours week in week out training on the off-chance that you might get a few races spread thinly over the whole spring/summer if you're lucky just isn't realistic.

I know, everyone else should organise the races for you shouldn't they. :roll:
Listen to yourself Dave!

I've never helped organize a bike factory, or a cloth mill. But I do ride bikes, wear shirts, and occasionally moan when they fall to bits. Does that make me a whingeing freeloader?

In my defence, I pay for the bikes (and shirts). And I did make my own pair of trousers once.

by Rob Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:57 pm
tomf wrote: Does that make me a whingeing freeloader?

No, a consumer.

by PhilBixby Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:42 pm
Interesting article in the "Points of view" section on the (new and rather flaky) TLI website re the cancellation of the North Midlands RR League April series:-

"I've just had notice that the North Midlands Road Race League has been forced to cancel this year's Saturday Series because of a lack of entries. And this for a series that offers a prize list totalling £500 generously donated by BikeBoxAlan.

Just what is it with riders? The series was spread over 3 consecutive weekends in April, so no problems with summer holidays. The weather is getting better at that time of year and generally everybody is at their keenest.

So why so few entries? Is is because that riders would only be allowed to ride two of the events, and they would be required to marshal the third? I've seen this attitude before with other race series and quite frankly it makes me wonder why we bother to organize races for ungrateful riders.

Perhaps the time has come to insist that anybody wishing to race must be a member of a recognized club, and that club must organize a minimum number of events throughout the year, in proportion to the number of rider/members in that club?

Or has anybody else any ideas on how we can get riders to realise the commitment put into event organization by a willing few?"

I'm making no comment one way or t'other but it neatly brings to the fore the point that Rob has highlighted - as riders can we simply and reliably buy entry into events or as participants in a club-based sport should we be expected to put more in... (discuss!)

by Dr Dave Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:58 am
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Bizarre! Surprising how in these times a series 'just down the road' would be cancelled for lack of interest whereas here there are more riders than events.

From the feelings here I suspect most people would happily 'do their bit' in terms of Marshalling etc in return for a few race entries.

Maybe the answer (ducks from brick-bats from the traditionalists ) is to charge £20 quid and market races in a similar way to sportives. It may not be a coincidence that sportives are growing in popularity whilst traditional racing isn't doing so well (I accept it isn't quite this simple as issues re road closures, risk assessments etc etc but it was just a thought...).

by cath Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:07 am
Organising a competitive race is a whole different level to running a sportive-type event.

They are pitched at a different market and charging £20+ is definitely not the answer, a lot of BC races are expensive enough as it is and whether it's a RR or a time trial, we try hard to keep the entry fee down to make it as accessible as possible to everyone and encourage people to ride.

The lack of people to marshal was the reason we introduced the 'ride 5 help at 1' for the Spoco series, and when that didn't work we've dropped 2 events from the program.

Phil is being quite diplomatic - but it's extremely frustrating (and infuriating) to spend hours arranging and organising an event and then have to spend even longer chasing round trying convince club members to help out - we've been lucky with the Spoco's to be able to put on as many as we have (it's been touch and go sometimes), and that's down to those riders who are keen to do their bit and plenty of non-competitors (inc parents) who turn out and help support the club.

Everyone wants to ride but there's a trade-off - and events can't run without club members and riders giving up their free time to support the organisers.

by Cyan Skymoos Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:32 am
Why don't we all just race sportives, we could have timing chips, all the times could be posted on the event website, and the fastest rider could claim to be the winner. Just don't call it a race because they would only let 60 riders take part.

by paulM Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:46 pm
"Why don't we all just race sportives, we could have timing chips, all the times could be posted on the event website, and the fastest rider could claim to be the winner. Just don't call it a race because they would only let 60 riders take part."

I know how to get round this - instead of timing chips just give each rider a number and set them off at minute intervals and just charge a fiver. I think this form of competion could really catch on with the over 40s?

by tomf Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:31 am
The smell of sweat and chain-oil hung over the leisure centre car-park as the riders chatted, straddling their bikes and sipping from their bottles.
"Good morning, gentlemen... and ladies." The commissaire was perched in the open door of his 4*4.
"We need 10 volunteer marshalls for this course, but only six competing clubs have sent nominees." He waved at a knot of people wearing flourescent bibs, lounging around a mini-van at the edge of the car-park. "Thankyou, folks. So as you know, under the new British Cycling rules, I will draw lots from the remaining clubs' riders to determine who will make up the numbers."
There was a muted chorus of groans. A steward stepped forward, holding a box of tickets. The commissaire rummaged around before plucking one out and holding it up.
"Number 53."
A loud sigh, the sound of cleats unclipped.
"Number 21."
"F****** ****!" Another rider stalked through the bunch, dragging his bike back over to the van, unpinning his race number.
"Number 25."
Silence. Then a sudden clatter.
"Look out - he's making a run for it!"
A skinny rider in a blue jersey was trying to sprint toward the road. It was a doomed attempt; as he skidded across the tarmac in his Sidis, a burly steward stepped out from behind the van, casually jogged over and stuck his foot out, sending the athlete sprawling. Then he dragged him to his feet, and in one lazy motion, threw him through the open door and slammed it shut.
He nodded toward his prize. "After you lot have finished your race, he'll be collecting in all the signs - on foot. Now, anybody else want to try something funny?" He leered at the riders; they studied their shoes awkwardly.
"And ... number 8. Alright everyone, let's have a good race!"
I think it was around then that I decided to give time-trialling another go.

by PhilBixby Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:52 am
Nicely imagined. But... ...where will the marshals on the corners of the TT come from?? :wink:

by like my bike Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:24 pm
British Cycling Evening Racing

Racing for all abilities

7.01 pm Go Race 25 mins (no BC membership/Lis required), £5.00 - (£10.00 on the night)
7.00 pm 4th cats only 30mins, £7.00 - (£10.00 on the night)
8.00 pm Handicap E,1,2,3,4 this race also has a separate Junior only category both 60 mins + 2 laps. £10.00 - (£15.00 on the night)

Thurs 07-Apr, Thurs 14-Apr, Thurs 21-Apr, Thurs 28-Apr, Thurs 05-May, Thurs 12-May

ENTER AT THE LINK BELOW

http://regonline.activeeurope.com/Regis ... tID=960020

CIRCUIT DETAILS (48 miles from York)

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/road/a ... it-Opens-0

A J

by like my bike Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:33 pm
60 places 120 entries!

If all clubs promoted one race a year then there would be enough for everyone!

Imagine playing in a Sunday morning football league, and not having your own pitch so no other teams could play you at home!!!

Some organisers are returning entries from riders who are members of clubs who do not promote races themselves.

this is an amateur club sport

A J

by PhilBixby Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:59 am
Interestingly the LVRC entry form has sprouted a new question this year:- "How many events does your club promote each year?".....

by tomf Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:54 am
Well, I got my 'Dear Tom' letter & cheque today - so I'm out too.
hmm.. hope those BC entries stick!
tom

by PhilBixby Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:15 am
Likewise, entry returned today with apologies on it. May well contact the organiser about EOL after the first couple though - it quietened down last year. Meantime, for those of a certain age, plenty of upcoming vets races, and the the youngsters there's the Tockwith series!

Next year - if BC manages to get the necessary regulatory changes made so we can run/marshal races in North Yorkshire without the need for temporary traffic lights, it would be good to get the North Yorkshire series up and running again - either by supporting the Beldons (if they're up for it again) or by working with a group of other local clubs, as has happened with the Tockwith series.

by chester56 Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:49 pm
Likewise, my Dear John letter received this morning - will have to content myself with the Croft series and mybe some TT stuff