Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by Dr Dave Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:29 pm
Entry returned so really p****d off. Can't see any point in training and getting into some form of shape when the prospect of races at a standard that I could manage is so uncertain.

To cash cheques and hence take payment implies acceptance of entry in my world., Feel inclined to demand refund of TLI membership fee as there are no races within sensible reach.

Racing? You can stick it where the sun doesn't shine. :twisted: :twisted:

by dave c Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:42 pm
Dave, there are other races you could enter, TLi at Croft eol + other TLi and LVRC races. Maybe turn up at some of the EYRL on speck!.

You've gained fitness whatever you decide to do.

Cheers

Dave

by RichT Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:54 pm
No EYRRL for me either!! Got refund cheque in post this morning. Can anyone recommend any other local races that would be suitable for a newbie?

by tomf Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:36 pm
Ugh, nervously waiting for tomorrow's post. But hang in there Dave+Rich, after the first two races there may well be space... they weren't generally full last year.

Also last year, the team behind the now-defunct North Yorkshire TLI series ran a couple of TLI races on Bishopwood. No idea if they are planning that again this time round.

tom

by PhilBixby Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:57 am
It's very annoying when entries get sent back - especially in this case when it's a whole series. I had the early part of my season blown out of the water last year, so I know what it's like.

BUT...

In defence of race organisers it's a difficult job - especially with the ongoing "Highways issues" and current over-subscription of events (and of course they're oversubscribed because everyone wants to race but no-one wants to organise...). We're not one of the clubs which helps marshal at these races so, unfortunately, we're probably not top of the heap when it comes to allocating limited places. Likewise, TLI is entirely run by volunteers. They do their best to support event organisers but ultimately they've got plenty on their plates too with insurance issues and generally trying to lobby to keep racing on the roads.

...and...

There's still plenty out there to have a go at. To answer Rich's question, newbie-wise there are three ways forward:-
-Circuit racing very locally at Tockwith (BC) and a bit further afield at Croft (TLI). Suits some people more than others, but worth a go.
-For anyone 40 or over, LVRC (vets) racing. LVRC specifically suggest novices start off in older age groups in order to "ease themselves into" racing. There are eight events within the next three months which are local enough to have a crack at - including one this Saturday for anyone with excess aggression to vent :wink:
-BC road races - 3rd/4th cat races would be do-able for anyone who's coping with the recent Saturday training rides - Tim commented that last Sunday's Seacroft Wheelers RR was in many ways easier than our recent training rides round the same circuit. BC events are particularly oversubscribed but fire off enough entries far enough in advance and some of 'em will stick!

So... ...get those diaries out and get filling in entry forms.

Picking up on Tom's point, the Beldons had enough grief organising the two local TLI races last year to want to take a year off this year, although I did hear very vague rumours of someone trying to put a vets race or two onto the Bishopwood circuit.

Lastly, I can pretty much guarantee any Clifton member who enters our club RR on 10th July a ride, because I'll be the man with the marker pen and the stack of return envelopes. And as a fraught race organiser with too many grey hairs and a thick legal contract from East Riding of Yorkshire sat on my desk, please can I ask for helpers and marshals on the day!!! Since we're doing both BC and LVRC, you can race one and help with the other. Please!! :D

by Dr Dave Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:39 am
PhilBixby wrote:It's very annoying when entries get sent back - especially in this case when it's a whole series. I had the early part of my season blown out of the water last year, so I know what it's like.

BUT...

In defence of race organisers it's a difficult job - especially with the ongoing "Highways issues" and current over-subscription of events (and of course they're oversubscribed because everyone wants to race but no-one wants to organise...). We're not one of the clubs which helps marshal at these races so, unfortunately, we're probably not top of the heap when it comes to allocating limited places. Likewise, TLI is entirely run by volunteers. They do their best to support event organisers but ultimately they've got plenty on their plates too with insurance issues and generally trying to lobby to keep racing on the roads.

...and...

There's still plenty out there to have a go at. To answer Rich's question, newbie-wise there are three ways forward:-
-Circuit racing very locally at Tockwith (BC) and a bit further afield at Croft (TLI). Suits some people more than others, but worth a go.
-For anyone 40 or over, LVRC (vets) racing. LVRC specifically suggest novices start off in older age groups in order to "ease themselves into" racing. There are eight events within the next three months which are local enough to have a crack at - including one this Saturday for anyone with excess aggression to vent :wink:
-BC road races - 3rd/4th cat races would be do-able for anyone who's coping with the recent Saturday training rides - Tim commented that last Sunday's Seacroft Wheelers RR was in many ways easier than our recent training rides round the same circuit. BC events are particularly oversubscribed but fire off enough entries far enough in advance and some of 'em will stick!

So... ...get those diaries out and get filling in entry forms.

Picking up on Tom's point, the Beldons had enough grief organising the two local TLI races last year to want to take a year off this year, although I did hear very vague rumours of someone trying to put a vets race or two onto the Bishopwood circuit.

Lastly, I can pretty much guarantee any Clifton member who enters our club RR on 10th July a ride, because I'll be the man with the marker pen and the stack of return envelopes. And as a fraught race organiser with too many grey hairs and a thick legal contract from East Riding of Yorkshire sat on my desk, please can I ask for helpers and marshals on the day!!! Since we're doing both BC and LVRC, you can race one and help with the other. Please!! :D

Would have loved to have 'popped my cherry' this w/e (along with Howard) but have a holiday booked with the family.

I have 2 main gripes Phil:

A. The EYRRL organiser shouldn't have banked the cheques until after he'd sorted the entries.The entry rejection was on headed paper from a financial services company. I wonder if the organiser cashes his client's cheques without assigning assets to them!

Assuming over a hundred entries at 40 quid he's banked at least 4k of other people's money and had the use of it for weeks. No wonder he's in Financial Services.......

B. For someone with a family and a busy demanding job, to spend hours week in week out training on the off-chance that you might get a few races spread thinly over the whole spring/summer if you're lucky just isn't realistic. I just don't have the time resources. Also, getting separate BC, LVRC and TLI licenses when you may not get a ride in the appropriate body's races is a lottery...

Sorry if I sound bitter but after getting my head around trying racing, thinking I'd a race series to look forward to I'm pretty 'p****d off!!

by JohnS Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:34 am
Unfortunately I've just had my entry returned as well :(

Given my entry went in back in January and cheque had been cashed thought I had done enough...... and the only reason I joined the TLI was to do this series!!!

Similar to you Dave in that having a set series in the diary gave me a target and motivation.

Guess I'll have to do as you suggest Phil and take another look at the diary. Still had my entry for the first round of the Nutcracker series accepted for the end of April :D .

John

by PhilBixby Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:15 pm
"The EYRRL organiser shouldn't have banked the cheques until after he'd sorted the entries."

I wouldn't normally bank cheques before deciding who's got a ride but then I don't know the organiser's circumstances. Some banks can be snotty about accepting cheques which are six months old - I entered last November when Tim posted on here that entries were open. I had a couple of bouncing cheques among the YCCR entries last summer, which cost me bank charges - I wish I'd known before giving the bouncy-cheque-writers a ride.

We're going to have ongoing problems this year with numbers of people wanting to race. I appreciate it's really frustrating for those who don't get rides - we've all worked hard over the winter for a purpose. There are events out there though; last year I rode 25 road or circuit races, of which seven were the EYRRL series and a further seven were vets races. Hopefully by next year BC will have negotiated marshalling arrangements which will mean we can get more races back on the road, but this will only happen if people are prepared to organise them, and others are prepared to help the organisers.

by Rob Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:57 pm
Dr Dave wrote:For someone with a family and a busy demanding job, to spend hours week in week out training on the off-chance that you might get a few races spread thinly over the whole spring/summer if you're lucky just isn't realistic.

I know, everyone else should organise the races for you shouldn't they. :roll:
Listen to yourself Dave!

by Broom Wagon Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:14 pm
I haven't had my entry returned yet. Even if I do get a ride, it'll be disappointing not ride it with my mates though. For those that don't get a ride it might be worth turning up on the night.

I'm going to enter one of the Nutcracker series - thought of the one at Camp Hill.

by dave c Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:28 pm
I'm entering the Clifton cc LVRC race so I'll help out at the bc race

Dave

by Dr Dave Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:53 pm
dave c wrote:I'm entering the Clifton cc LVRC race so I'll help out at the bc race

Dave

[joke mode]Just to keep Rob happy[/joke mode] make that 2 of us. I'll give the LVRC a go - will apply for licence this week and get a few entries sent off

by Cyan Skymoos Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:09 pm
I can understand the frustration of not getting a ride. I struggled to get in BC races last year, and I've done more than my fair share of marshalling and helping at BC and other races over the last 20 or so years. I haven't bothered with a BC membership/licence this year.
It's even more frustrating when you see 3rd cats from tin pot 'focused' racing clubs who give nothing back to the sport getting a ride, but I think in this case giving priority to the organising clubs is fair enough.

I will be racing the club LVRC, I will marshall/push off at the tt's again, and I urge others to help. A club 300 strong shouldn't be scratching around for help a few days before the race. I will not help out at the BC race though, sorry Phil.

by paulM Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:58 pm
Sorry guys but I've always said accepting entries simply on a first through the letter box basis should be bottom of the list of criteria. Look at it from the organisers point of view. He's organising a handicap road race league so if he has 4 groups he has to fill those with say 15 or 20 riders max. So I think it is fair to say he will be filling those with members of the organising clubs who he knows and can slot into the right groups.

by Broom Wagon Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:19 pm
[quote="Broom Wagon"]I haven't had my entry returned yet. Even if I do get a ride, it'll be disappointing not ride it with my mates though. For those that don't get a ride it might be worth turning up on the night.

I'm going to enter one of the Nutcracker series