Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by Mr_Striped_Hat Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:30 pm
I just came across this very interesting graphic and felt the urge to share.
Good info for anyone wanting to know where the best place to spend money / time is for the best gains.

Oh the time savings are for a rider clocking 48mins over a 40km course.

by Rob Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:38 pm
Nice graphic.

The magnitudes are academic as based on 50km/h - remember drag increases with the square of the velocity(apparently). Having toyed with most of these things at some time or another (at more like 40km/h) my gut feel is that the effect of aerobars is prob greater than stated while the effect of skinsuit and bootees rather less than stated. Maybe these tests were done by Assos? The relative sizes of the rest appear reasonable though.

For most of us weekend warriors however, the biggest improvements come from training more, training smarter and suffering more in the race. But these things sell less magazines and the MAMILs and "lifestyle cyclists" (love the phrase Skymoos, had to fit it in) find it less painful to just spend the money.

by Dr Dave Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:02 pm
Nice to hear from you Mark! All OK I trust. Any chance you'll be sighted in the flesh soon?
:wink:

by Cyan Skymoos Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:55 pm
I wonder what L-shape cranks are worth.

by Dr Dave Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:01 pm
Cyan Skymoos wrote:I wonder what L-shape cranks are worth.

Farque Hall!

by Mr_Striped_Hat Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:25 pm
Nice to hear from you Mark! All OK I trust. Any chance you'll be sighted in the flesh soon?

Yeah all is well thanks. It's been busy times for the business but I've managed to get the odd cheeky 30 or so miles in a few times a week on the fixed. I'm sure I'll resurface for a weekend ride soon, it gets lonely riding on ones own after a while.