Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by StephF Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:51 pm
Does anyone know of a good personal trainer?

I want to get properly fit this year but I am finding that I am struggling to train and to know what to do for the best for training too.

I need someone that will push me and ideally help with nutrition etc

Thanks!

Steph

by Cyan Skymoos Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:37 pm
Hi Steph

You could start by giving the sticky toffee pudding a miss.
I think Phil is the oracle for all things training. I haven't got a clue what he's on about myself, but it sounds like he knows his stuff.

by StephF Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:40 pm
After the sticky toffee pudding was the only time I felt good!!!

by PhilBixby Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:23 pm
With talent like yours you wouldn't need to listen to a word I say, Darren - even if I was an oracle on training! (which I'm not) :D

Depends what you want to get fit for, really Steph - just generally a bit quicker, or for specific types of events, or what? Do you know vaguely where you're starting from in terms of your strengths/weaknesses (setting aside the weakness for sticky toffee pudding - which I share...)?

If you just want to get more methodical about it all then Joe Friel's Cyclists Training Bible is as good a starting point as any. If you reckon that you really need someone to shout at you to overcome willpower issues then tracking down a coach may be wise. I know some of the MTBers did some testing etc with York St.Johns - did this ever lead to any ongoing support/coaching? I think Paul C would know... ...other than that, I know Dave Cook has been working with a coach for a couple of seasons, so a chat with him about his experiences may be useful. Also, of course, our very own Billy Geraghty is working his way up through the BC coaching qualifications and is currently giving support to a couple of club members - he may be worth getting in touch with.

I'll happily talk the hind leg off a donkey about training but it's just based on lots of reading and a few seasons of having been organised about it myself, and having seen improvements. And I know nothing about training for off-road.

Mmmm. Nearly teatime.... :wink:

by StephF Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:28 pm
Thanks!

It's for mountain bike marathons (100km) and mountain bike orienteering which internationally range from 20 mins - 1hr, nationally 3 - 5 hrs. So I need short bursts of speed (mainly lacking uphill speed) and endurance.

I have that book - I need someone to kick my ass and make me perform though!!!

Steph

by Dr Dave Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:27 pm
http://www.abcc.co.uk/

Association of Cycling Coaches....

by like my bike Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:30 pm
Have you thought of the clubs BC Level 3 coach?

A J