Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:16 am
Weather forecast seems to be a bit wild and windy towards the end of the week, but warm-ish in comparison with what we're used to and - fingers crossed - dry. For those not doing the Reliability on Sunday or who want a weekend's punishment (step forward Mr Cook...) there will be a training ride on Saturday. Plan is to do the "westerly" route (Bramham / Thorner / Aberford) and strategy is to keep it together; it's a lumpy route in the middle and it'll probably be just one group so this may be challenging. However, last week showed it can be done (and pretty quick too). Initial thoughts are to do a full loop round the Bishopwood circuit on the return leg, so it'll be three hours or a few minutes over.

As always, given current climate trends, check back on Friday just in case it all gets blanketed in snow by then... :roll:

by dave c Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:06 pm
Hi Phil, Unfortunately I can't make Saturday now so will have to just put up with doing the Reliability!

Cheers

Dave
by Tobzlerone Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:42 pm
Hey phil, not going to go out with you on saturday, doing the reliability ride so ill go with the go-ride to take it easier.

Abit of a wimp i know ;)

toby

by Broom Wagon Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:35 pm
I won't be out for the training ride either, it's the Reliability for me (though not relishing being sick in my mouth which I've heard is obligatory) . Doing the training ride and the Reliabilty would do wonders for my fitness but nothing for family harmony.

by JohnS Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:35 pm
Training ride for me this weekend :D

John

by Cam B Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:44 am
Training ride for me also.....

by Dr Dave Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:17 pm
Cam B wrote:Training ride for me also.....

And me

by Allan Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:03 pm
Doing the training ride and the Reliabilty would do wonders for my fitness but nothing for family harmony

same here and have my first mtb race of the season the saturday after so see you all in a couple of weeks

by Allan Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:05 pm
Broom Wagon wrote:Doing the training ride and the Reliabilty would do wonders for my fitness but nothing for family harmony.

same here..... and have my first mtb race of the season the saturday after so see you all in a couple of weeks :)

by AndyM Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:14 pm
[quote="Dr Dave"][quote="Cam B"]Training ride for me also.....[/quote]

And me[/quote]

And me :)

by RichT Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:35 pm
And me...

by PhilBixby Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:45 am
Excellent! Having lured you all out with talk of warm, dry conditions it now looks like it'll p*** down all day, but at least it should be well above freezing and ice-free. Drag out those waterproofs and will see you all at nine.

by Cam B Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:38 pm
I will be running a little late tomorrow but since you will be doing the 'West' route and coming down Bishopthorpe Rd I will join you on route somewehere near the Doctors surgery on Bish Rd....Cheers

by PhilBixby Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:26 pm
About a dozen of us set off this morning, with grey skies and a steady westerly reflecting the more optimistic versions I'd seen of the weather forecast. Once out of York it was pretty much straight into a brisk paceline which resulted in one or two people being shed to make their own way round. I hadn't seen posters but it seemed to be "Who Owns The Road Day" with some really cr*p driving resulting in a few close encounters in the early part of the ride.

With a few brief pauses to re-group, the work-rate stayed pretty high throughout. Fifty-five miles door-to-door in just under three hours; the "out of town" middle two and a half were despatched at just over 20mph average and (for me) normalised power of 236W - that's within 20-30W of many of the TLI races I did last year, and they were shorter. Looking good for season's start, boys and girls.

And now, No.1 in an occasional series:- Tips from the Pro's...

Some observations from Kit on why things weren't smoother than they were, and why some people worked harder than they need have:-

- The best way to stop gaps opening up in the "fast line" is when you're last man (or woman) start moving across early - when you see the bars of the last rider on the fast line go past you want to be shuffling over, so you can slot onto their wheel. Leave it until they're past you and you've got to jump across.
- When you get to the front of the fast line do not accelerate in order to get in front of the slow line and move over - keep your pace steady and wait for the rider on the front of the slow line to drift back past you. If you accelerate, the rider behind will do the same, and next thing the whole pace of the bunch is cranked up. Not good.
- When you've pulled over to the head of the slow line, just ease off a touch; don't stop pedaling but knock enough effort off for the fast line to move past you without increasing their pace.
- If all of this happens, gaps shouldn't open up and no-one should end up doing massive turns on the front.

Lastly, a reminder that next Thursday is the pub evening for sharing notes on upcoming races. 7:30 in Brigantes, all welcome. If you're teetering on the brink of entering stuff, come along and find out what's involved. If you've already got a fistful of entries in the post, come along and tell everyone what you're up to so lifts can be shared or past experiences picked over. There are enough of us in some events we could even talk tactics. Tactics! Lawks!