Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by Jess Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:28 pm
Has anyone seen the film 'racing stripes'? You know, the one where the zebra thinks he's a racehorse?
Well, that was pretty much how it went - apart from the whole 'turning it around for a win & a happy ending' bit, of course....

Got there in a bit of a fluster after a couple of mechanical issues (flipping mudguards!) and a hole in my tyre (glass again!) - watched the 4th cat only race & then had a quick lap round the course before our race.

Quite a few entries (lots of 2s & 3s there I think). Set off with the cat 4s- not many of us, about 8. All strong looking, Cervello mounted, sponsorship wearing types (not a very friendly bunch actually but then, it is a race, not a social) - took a little while to get into the swing of things but got it together & some paceline riding happened. It wasn't very fluid though and was pretty fast (25 mph+) and whilst I could stick with them in the group, all they had to do to lose me was sprint a bit. Which obviously they did. So the inevitable happened & I was shelled out the back fairly quickly.

Managed to catch them again & hold on for a bit, but got a repeat performance. Was tempted to hot foot it into the pit lane back to my car (especially since the photographer kept taking pictures of me alone on the track - oooh the shame) but I carried on anyway & used the course a bit to work on my cornering technique, which actually I think improved it no end.

So whilst 'on paper' it was a bit of a disaster - I am glad I went. The organisers were fab, it was a good experience & I think it did improve my riding.

Some Things I have Learned

1) I need to get faster (4th cats are quick indeed)
2) My bike is the equivalent of the aforementioned Zebra. No one actually laughed - but lets just say 'out classed'. (I think the wobbly mudguard was a highlight)
3) It's flipping cold and windy on a racetrack in January - (next time, stay in bed and wait til spring)
4) It is ridiculously hard work, slow (and also a little dull) doing laps on your own
5) It is far better for riders if 2 or 3 from the same club work together in the group (I observed this working really well with a few teams)
6) I can get as fit as I like but I think that sprinting will always finish me off (its anatomical, right?) so if I want to get ANY points I will probably have to look at women's races.
7) Did I mention I need to get faster?

Anyway, I'm fairly happy - Chalked up to experience - back to the training rides for me for a few more months I think! 8)

by PhilBixby Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:01 pm
Well done Jess for having the courage to dive in - and on your own too, by the sound of it. Nice report, too! Full marks for staying out there despite the photographer's unwanted attention - you've paid to ride, so make the most of it. Those solo laps aren't wasted - as you note, you've worked on your cornering and you've got some valuable time on the circuit. Next time out you won't be a first-timer!

Thoughts on your thoughts:-
1) 4th cats are a broad church. It contains a fair few who are basically pretty quick but who wimp out in sprints, including me and some very swift local TT regulars.
2) Your bike is fine - the mudguards were making you self conscious! Unless you want an excuse for relegating it to winter bike duties, in which case you're right, it's cr*p!
3) Yup, even March seems early for a season start.
4) As per my posting on today's training ride...
5) Certainly helps if clubmates work together, although part of the knack of racing is eyeballing fellow competitors and working out who'll work with you, whatever their club.
6) If you haven't specifically trained for sprinting, you don't know what you can do. I've improved sprint power by about 20% over two years by doing sprint drills.
7) You did mention it, but don't panic. Part of the shortfall is just being new to racing and not knowing how best to work the situation. Racing speed comes with practice. Keep at it!

PS:- how did you warm up for the race?
Last edited by PhilBixby on Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by like my bike Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:22 pm
Jess, saw you today a sterling effort, where you the only female? I was running the womens session after the racing. My first ever experience of racing was at Croft and it ended the same way. What I found out is that I was nt fast enough and when I looked at the riding I was doing in the week and the events I wanted to perform in there was a big difference. I went back 6 months later and got a top five result!

Some thoughts

1. Do you have the endurance to ride for an 1.5 hours ? YES
2. Do you have the speed = leg and power ?
3. Are you able to ride around the features of the course (corners/hairpins) as fast at the top 10 riders in the race?
4. Can you improve your race day approach

Circuit racing is nt for everyone, but the advantages for beginners, mean you don't get dropped in the middle of nowhere, you can get off and back to your car easily, it improves skills/technique quicker than any road race. Does the best bike rider on the day win? And are they any good at RR? Kipling won last years series and ride for Raleigh!

The keys components a successful bike rider needs are, Courage, Speed, Skill, Tactical awareness and a work ethic. Every bike rider has all of these in varying degrees. Use your experience to establish which areas you need to improve and then work out how.

I'll be running the womens session next week.

A J

by Cyan Skymoos Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:08 pm
Jess, Great effort. Your report probably sums up most riders first race experience, I know mine was similar, apart from a mudguard and racing in January!!

For me I think the racing brought me on more than the training in my first year, I went from getting spat out of the back to winning one in my first season, and I couldn't sprint for toffee(still can't) Don't get demoralised when you get a kickin for the first few...it will click after a while.

by Jess Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:36 pm
Haha - thanks guys - to be honest I expected to be dropped, but was hoping it wouldn't be quite so quick!

Phil - Good advice as always - Indeed the 4th cats seemed like seasoned pros to me! But you have a point re sprinting, guess I'm never going to be as strong a s the guys, but it's something I haven't really worked on (need to do some intervals I think) As for warm up - did about 15 mins plus a lap of the track - maybe should have done more, but my stupid chain came off twice. (so yes, I probably DO want an excuse to get a new bike in the spring) :D

like my bike, yep - that was me, only woman in the race (perhaps I should have been drinking coffee & chatting, like the other girls there :wink: ) Anyway - very good point about the riding during the week. Aside from the training ride I am doing sessions that have been more about getting miles in, rather than specific 'training' if you see what I mean. Still, only January so I've got time to work on this and start doing more.

In terms of your other points think my main thing is the skill in riding the corners efficiently & being able to push out of them. (Think I had it sorted by about lap 10, mind...). Never really learned how to properly 'ride' a bike if you see what I mean.
Can't make next week's session, but might catch you at the last one (if that's ok?)

Skymoos - sounds encouraging! (but I will expect a few more kickings on the way) :D

by paulM Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:11 pm
Jess - Just to second, third and fourth what's already been said. In fact your efforts yesterday went one better than most of the rest of us - you actually finished! Can't stress enough that you have to look long term at his game and put what look like disappointments behind you and just keep banging the entries in!
I'm not that convinced on the concept of racing round an airfield in January but you can only enter what's out there and there will be plenty of opportunities to ride more of the same and improve. Never worry about the opposition - from 4th cats (they seriously cant be that good if they are 4th cats?) to Elites in a Premier calendar road race - they are all there to be beaten!
Look at where you can make improvements - and making sure your bike is in good working order is the first place to start - if you want any advice just let me know.