Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by henryb Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:17 pm
Hi,

Got a bit of a training conundrum, unfortunately not being local very long I don't know the best roads to train on, so I thought I ask any racing snakes or seasoned old club riders where to go!

I need to find a 10 minute zone three hill climb loop, where I can climb it, ride over the top, rest for approx 5 mins on the way back round to the bottom and then climb it again...

Preferably on a quieter road, and within an hour or so of York!
Does such a road exist?!!

Because it's zone three - it needs to be not too steep - say between 4% to 7/8% and suitably long so I don't run out of climb...

Like for instance this week I have 240 mins to ride out there do 8 reps at 10 mins each and ride back...

any suggestions gratefully accepted, thanks!

henry
by timj Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:54 pm
Henry
Ilive in Easingwold so i have hills on my doorstep.Aclimb like you are after is probably likeYEARSLEY bank going out of BRANDSBY It would take about half hour to get there from this side of York.I am using coxwold bank towards Oulston but it is a 5 min climb so not long enough probably.
cheers Tim

by Broom Wagon Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:10 pm
I don't know where abouts in York you live, but the climb through Bishop Wilton (Clifton's Hill climb) is probably about 8 minutes for you (10 for me). At the T junction at the top turn left down Garrowby hill. At the bottom (the junction Gary Brown was killed at) turn left into Bishop Wilton and then left again and you're on the hill again and repeat.

Or there's the climb through Brandsby (much shorter and less steep) take the first right after the climb, down the hill, right at the T junction, right at the next T and repeat.

by Cyan Skymoos Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:27 pm
Blimey that sounds complicated, and what is zone 3? can't it be done on a flat road.

Apart from a couple of climbs in the Dales I can't think of an hill that would take 10 minutes to climb.

by tomf Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:42 pm
That's a pretty demanding set of requirements! I would have recommended Bishop Wilton, same as Broom, but it's too steep. To get 10mins of climbing with only 5mins rest on the way down the climb has to be barely longer than the descent, so the loop needs to be pretty tight.

I can think of a few climbs in the Wolds that are about right, but none has a handy 'return lane'. If you're willing to do up + back on the same stretch, it's easier. You could try the steady climb from Great Givendale (just along from Bishop Wilton) up towards the A166; Google says it's 2 miles long which would be 10mins at 12mph climbing and 5mins at 24mph on the way back...

I don't like doing U-turns in training, but the road is very quiet so it should work. There are a couple of other roads up essentially the same hill (running from the Pocklington side up towards Garrowby top) which would do too. It's about an hour from York so ride out and take a look!

tom

by Dr Dave Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:55 am
? Birdsall from the Malton side.....

by reubenbarrett Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:47 pm
Here are 2 suggestions for you. I have shown each with 2 loops but you can repeat as many times as you want and I have started from Heslington as that is your location on forum.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/265661
Circle round Acklam mast. 15 miles to bottom, then up/down loop of 7 miles.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/265665
Loop round Bishop Wilton. 15/20 miles to bottom dependent on how you get there, then up/down loop of 8 miles.

I would pick Acklam mast.

by henryb Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:40 pm
Blimey! cheers guys I will try them out over the weekend, il let you know how i get on...

henry