Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:54 am
...come on, it's no good denying it..... :wink:

The good news is that the LVRC race calendar is now out - link via the LVRC website.

Events are listed by LVRC Region - Yorkshire & the North East is Region 2, East Midlands is Region 5. There are enough races between the two to put together a reasonable season - especially alongside the EYRRL TLI series - for those of you who want to avoid the expense of BC membership/licence and have a go at some proper road races.

The local season-opener is the Barton Wheelers Aussie Pursuit on Saturday 2nd April, at Barton-on-Humber (just at the far side of the Humber Bridge). It's a safe circuit, handicapped by age group over 45km. So, it's a good first step from the training rides as you'll (in theory at least) be working with the rest in your age group to pull back the old blokes / stay away from the youngsters as appropriate.

You need LVRC membership (£16) and then event pre-entry is £8 for single-stage events. There's a good mix of types of circuit, plus a few multi-stage events for those of you who don't mind travelling and want to try something more challenging.

by Dr Dave Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:11 pm
You are doing an excellent job of promoting racing Phil -hats off!

I'm teetering on the brink of giving in to the urge and putting my money down - talk on Sat?

by Cyan Skymoos Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:45 pm
Bring it on, proper road racing for half the price of a 40 minute BC race around Tockwith or Croft. If you're over 40 it's the best option as far as I'm concerned.
by timj Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:11 pm
Phil
which races would you recommend entering.

by PhilBixby Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:24 pm
I think Darren's organising a pub session :wink: - will bring along the race calendar and we can get names against events!

by Cyan Skymoos Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:30 pm
Red Bear Sherburn, Sam Smiths £1.50 a pint.

by PhilBixby Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:02 pm
I have had negotiations with the deputy pub session planner and on the basis of that would suggest Thursday 10th Feb at Brigantes, starting at 7:30.

I'll bring along what stuff I've got about the various circuits used for vets races but we can also talk about BC/TLI events so there's no age limit - all welcome.

by Cyan Skymoos Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:49 pm
I'll be there, I'm keen as mustard.
by timj Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:05 pm
Im in for that
Just entered1Tom Simpson and plan to enter
2Barton Wheelers
3Minty mem
4Donny Wheelers
and maybeEast Coast

by paulM Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:39 pm
Not wanting to p*£s on anyones fire but I wouldnt recomend the early season Barton Wh RR - at least if you are under the age of 50. My experience from the last 2 outings is that H/capping vets races simply assuming the younger riders are going to be quicker - regardless of ability or the size of the group just doesnt work. Reality was last year we were in a group of about 6 giving away about 10 minutes in a 25 mile race to the 70 year old ex pros who are back riding as pros. Do the maths! Plus if its still a 1400 start, its a crap place to get to and you've wasted the whole day. Go training instead and if you've got a BC licence do the Neil White at Stokesley with me - a longer race, easier to get to and its how a handicap race should be with the faster riders behind you!

by Cyan Skymoos Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:06 pm
Yep..thats the reason I'm giving the Barton H'cap a miss. Some of those 60 year olds are seriously quick.

by PhilBixby Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:34 am
As is traditional with Clifton, I'll post an alternative viewpoint...!

Muzzy's quite right about Barton Wheelers if you're looking for an early-season envelope with a fiver in; the old blokes seem to consistently stay away - which makes it frustrating for strong riders like him in the younger groups. However... ...Barton Wheelers was the first ever race I did; I really appreciated the friendly atmosphere, the fact I was going off in a small-ish group (about a dozen) and we were working together - it felt like a more serious version of the chaingang. The riding was competent and the circuit was safe and well-marshalled. I came away looking forward to my next race.

As it happened, my next race was the Wetwang BC race. This scared the s**t out of me - people were all over the place on that fast descent (the following year someone went through the windscreen of an oncoming car, and last year's reports sounded pretty hair-raising too) and had it been my first experience of racing I'd maybe have needed some persuasion to keep banging in the entries.

For anyone with both BC and LVRC licence then Neil White's a good season-opener - I've entered it every year - and you'll stand more chance of being up-front at the finish. It's three weeks before Barton Wheelers so there's no need for either/or. However it does fill up fast (as Muzzy discovered by missing out on a ride a couple of years back) and it's also on one of the circuits that suffered from Highways nitpicking last year which resulted in it being cancelled - though hopefully this year will be different.

For those of you just doing vets races, it depends if you're happy to wait until Minty's in early May...

by Allan Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:02 pm
So where does the first timer try his hand?

by Cyan Skymoos Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:19 pm
I might be wrong, perhaps Phil will know? but I thought you could ride with an older age group in LVRC if you are a first time racer, or feel you might struggle with the young 'uns.

by dave c Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:37 pm
I did the Barton Wheelers 2 years ago which was my 2nd ever race and 1st LVRC and I really enjoyed it (despite being dropped), it was pretty open and safe and a good challenge. In my experience (limited) I would say it's a good race to do as a first. I've entered it this year.

Dave