Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:22 am
Forecast for Saturday is for a totally tropical ten or eleven degrees (albeit probably raining...) so it's a safe bet that the training ride will be "on". Two proposals:-

We do the "westerly" route, which is:- Bishopthorpe - Appleton Roebuck - Tadcaster - Bramham - Thorner - Scholes - Barwick-in-Elmet - Aberford - Sherburn - Cawood - York, with a lap of the Bishopwood circuit (venue for the Seacroft Wheelers season opener) if we're feeling keen. We did this route on one of the pre-Christmas rides; if you were out on that one, try to remember it, if you weren't then maybe just take a quick look at a map so you know roughly where you're going. Because...

Second proposal - split into two groups. This is partly about reducing danger from traffic (we've had some slightly hairy moments with groups of 18 or more and cars trying to get past) but also about ensuring the pace of the ride allows everyone to stay on board and get maximum benefit from it. I'm suggesting one group for those who've got race entries in and have, I assume, been finding ways to keep training through the bad weather and a second group for those who are a bit earlier in their preparation. The aim is that everyone is able to take turns in their respective group and there's no waiting around for people to catch up. I'm relying on people being sensible about which group they put themselves in - and will ask someone in the steadier group to take responsibility for making sure no-one gets lost or left behind (without checking they're okay).

As a club we're keen to encourage people to get a number on their back and have a go at road and circuit racing, and it would be great if we got two dozen people out there in events this year. There were quite a few newcomers last season and some of 'em improved really rapidly. Hopefully the suggested arrangements will give a way in to it which makes sure everyone gets an effective weekly training ride, and groups can be adjusted as the weeks go by to suit the abilities of everyone who turns up. Does that all sound okay?

by Cam B Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:58 pm
Sounds like a good plan...After missing last 2 opportunites of joining the training ride thru (a) puncturing on way to square and (b) mechnical problem last week (now resolved) I am looking foward to a ride on Saturday...see you there

by Broom Wagon Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:53 pm
I'm intending to be out, I shall be bringing my xmas belly with me.
by chester56 Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:49 pm
Phil - a very good suggestion which we should all support on the basis that some are fitter than others at this stage, which is only natural, and that there is plenty of time to progress as the season unfolds
by timj Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:14 pm
why dont the second group set off ?minutes behind the first group and try to catch them.Even if they dont it would at least ensure everyone worked as a unit and keep it together like a bit of competition!!These rides need to be useful training wise as it is the only time in the week some of us ride in a group and being spread about the country isnt the idea of it surely .

by PhilBixby Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:31 pm
I was going to suggest the "entries-in-the-post" group sets off five minutes after the "steady" group. That way if the first group does get overtaken, there's an opportunity for people to swap groups as appropriate. Plus, as Tim suggests, it adds a hint of competition and an encouragement to teamwork.

Broomwagon:- given your claimed post-xmas ballast, would you be happy to guide the "steady" group? You know the route, as you juggled your water bottle round it a couple of months back!

by Allan Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:22 pm
Good plan - I will be there.

by Cyan Skymoos Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:25 pm
Should be out..steady group for me then, I've no entries in the post yet.

by Broom Wagon Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:26 pm
Yes, my belly and me would be happy to lead it, though if Darren qualifies for steady what's the fast group like :shock:

by PhilBixby Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:34 pm
I think Darren may be pressganged into the "entries in the post" group - simply waiting for the LVRC calendar to be published doesn't mean he can take it easy :wink:

Good man, Broomwagon - many thanks.

by PhilBixby Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:09 pm
A good turn-out this morning in the square, which - as per earlier in this thread - split into two groups with Broomwagon leading out the first group of six - will let him report back! Five minutes later the second group set off in pursuit; a group which included H (who is threatening to start putting race entries in the post), Kit Gilham (looking very relaxed in Sigma Sport team kit) Andy C, who was struggling having re-broken the ribs he originally broke when someone rode over him back in the icy spell, and The Return Of Ian Kent!

A puncture for Cam in Tadcaster rather put paid to our plan of reeling in the broomwagoneers (though we suspected they were sat in a warm cafe anyway plotting a pack of lies about their alleged ride...) but once that was dealt with we chugged round the lumpy, windy route at a steady pace. My numbers from the box o' tricks were near enough identical to the last time we rode this route back in November except for speed:- Normalised Power just a few Watts higher at 216, but about 18½mph rather than 19-point-something. A good ride, and thanks to all.

by G. Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:43 pm
If the 'slow' group stopped at a cafe, it was either before Lendal bridge where I joined them, or after Sherburn in Elmet - they dropped me 10 minutes before there. Given that I met Dr Dave riding the other way as I entered Fulford, the second option seems unlikely unless they put on a sudden burst of speed.

It was good to finally get back out with two wrists, despite being dropped. The balmy, non-icy conditions were also excellent, more of these please!

by AndyM Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:29 pm
Really enjoyed my first training ride with the club! 7 of us set out on the 'less quick' ride from the square, although less quick turned out to be a pretty brisk pace into an unforgiving headwind on the outward leg.

The return journey was even quicker with a great tailwind pushing us along nicely most of the way back to York. I was certainly thankful for the extra help as my legs were really starting to ache when I left the group for the quicker way home; along the cycle track at Naburn.

Unfortunately I don't have a power metre, but here are some Garmin stats for anyone that is interested (My heart rate definitely shows I was struggling a bit!):
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/63464488

Thanks all!

Andrew

by Allan Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:45 pm
Well, I got dropped off the back for the 2nd week running albeit in the 1st hour of the ride this week.
To be honest, I found the intitial pace in the 40 minutes or so to Taddy far too high for comfort. A rather eager 1 or 2 riders too impatient to wait for the back rider to come through set an initial pace of 21- 23 mph into a headwind. Not the usual pace within the first hour of the training ride and I would be interested to see the garmin stats of the second group from York to Taddy to compare their pace within the first 3rd. Started to feel it after an hour so a few miles on from Taddy I let the group slip over the horizon and tapped away to my own tempo as shown on my HRM.
Did not enjoy the section between Towton and Sherburn where a Sainsbury's artic decided to 'Try something something new today' by driving his 9ft wide cab towards the 8ft gap left between me and the oncoming Asda express delivery van. Given that the strong westerley was trying its damn hardest to shove me into the nearside ditch, the resulting vortex caused by the passing truck almost had me under. I actually had to stop to keep my breakfast down and bring my nerves back together.
Spot on after Sherburn with a great tailwind pushing me homewards!
Clearly my recollection of the route from before Xmas was not perfect and as such 62 miles were registered on my gps with a moving average of 17.7 mph and to be fair another really good workout.
Will be there to try my luck again next time :D

by chester56 Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:47 pm
Having re-opened a healing rib fracture due to a fall last Sunday, it felt great to be out this morning..........for the first 20 miles...........a a big thank you to Cam for pulling me back on......much appreciated......wherever it was (?)..........lesson learned is that I severely understimated the impact this would have....and would not recommend it to anyone...........anyhow funished the ride in good spirits and will be out for more soon