Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:27 pm
Weather forecast for Saturday isn't particularly lovely but it should at least be above freezing and ice-free. I'll be out.

Two suggestions:-
-We do the "easterly" route unless the weather is colder than anticipated in which case we'll swap for the "main roads heading north" route
-If we end up with a big group (more than a dozen) we split into two smaller groups. With the first races of the season about ten weeks away we could do with picking the pace up a touch - not going bonkers, but just making sure everyone gets plenty of work done on the way round. I'd suggest one group for those who are still hesitating over the entry forms and one group who know they have a date with destiny coming up soon!

If it suddenly goes all weird and hurls it down with snow then check on here on Saturday morning. Otherwise, see you in the square at nine...

by PhilBixby Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:37 pm
About a dozen of us set off out this morning; fairly unpromising with cold rain falling. There were somewhat conflicting snow'n'ice reports so we started the Malton - Terrington "traditional" route and, after an early fright with clumps of ice on the road shortly after Stockton, continued with it as the skies cleared and chilly sunshine took over. It was all a bit fragmented - Jess punctured early (many thanks again to Reuben and his dexterity with the mechanic's gloves), there were patches of flooding and a couple of riders dropped off the back at Malton to make their own way, but the rest of us just about stuck together. 46 miles in 2hr 44m makes it a rather slothful sixteen-point-something mph but it didn't feel gentle, and Normalized Power of over 210W explains why my legs ache now.

by reubenbarrett Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:11 pm
Thanks everyone for a good outing and some encouragement coming out of Malton.

We were about 2 miles from the Square when I hit a pothole and my rear light fell off. I waved everyone else on and went back to get it. As I retrieved the pieces of light from the road I heard that lovely hissing sound from my rear wheel so donned the blue gloves for the second time and changed the tube.

I got back on the bike only to discover that my front had gone as well! 2 pinch flats from one pothole and I only had one tube in my bag... So it was a taxi back for me! And I will pack 2 tubes in future.
by timj Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:48 pm
thats payback for helping everyone else!!!!!