Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:40 am
Just flagging this up a bit early as the weather forecast on Metcheck is currently 1c with sufficient wind to make it "feels like" minus six and snow the preceding day and night. Had intended suggesting the "westward" route (so we can do the "northwards" one to tie in with the following Saturday's xmas lunch) but let's see how the weather shapes up and make arrangements on here nearer the time. I'm not a great believer in gulping down great lungfuls of air when the temperature gets down to zero, nor taking chances on icy roads, but others of you may be!

by G. Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:36 pm
Icy roads are great fun, you should all do more of them. Then I won't be the only person nursing two bikeless months' worth of unfitness come January :wink:

by PhilBixby Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:39 pm
If anyone gives me any grief of the HTFU kind about not training in bad conditions I might engage you to parade your plastered arm around Exhibition Square on a Saturday, just to make the point....

by Dr Dave Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:13 am
PhilBixby wrote:[b[If anyone gives me any grief of the HTFU kind about not training in bad conditions[/b]

As if we would Phil :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, there is a happy medium between being a wooce and being reckless. Any mileage in starting a little later when the roads have thawed and hence might be safer?

by PhilBixby Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:41 pm
Okay... ...Metcheck website showing 2 degrees tomorrow, with increasing wind making it feel colder as the day goes on, and snow or snow showers throughout the day. I suggest we do the "north" route - Wetherby and up the A168 as (i) it's flat and hence we'll stand a chance of riding steadily as a group and (ii) the roads on the outward leg will be gritted, and we can decide on return route depending on the weather. Not sure if an hour either way will make much odds so we'll go for 9:00 start and we'll take it steady!

by Broom Wagon Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:23 pm
Ok you're the boss.

by Jess Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Well, the mudguard thing didn't go to plan so guess I'll not be joining you this week. Think I need to do some hill work anyway so I'll probably scoot up somewhere bulmer way.

On the plus side, I guess I don't have to get up so early! :-)

by Allan Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:19 am
Ive been out on Shipton Road this morning and have seen the conditions so I for one won't be out on the ride this morning. For those that do venture out, take great care!

by Cyan Skymoos Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:21 am
Whats stopping you riding with the group? have we got a mudguard rule now? I must have missed that.

by Broom Wagon Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:28 am
Not exactly the spirit that won the empire I know, but due to snow I'll be giving it a miss also. Probably venture out on the MTB a bit later but other than that I'll see you next week.

by At the back as usual Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:35 am
Are the main roads that bad?
I know I'll have to probably walk out from my cul de sac

by PhilBixby Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:48 am
Okay folks, have pulled back the curtains this morning to a very snowy scene. Traffic's moving on Holgate Road but there's a lot of settled snow, plus the Met Office is forecasting more this morning along with temperatures below zero. I don't reckon that's sensible weather for training in, and I reckon drivers are going to have enough to occupy their minds without dodging a group of cyclists, so I reckon we cancel. If anyone's desperate to get out there, the MTB or a solo session later with a flexible attitude to the weather might be better. Hopefully things will improve for next week.

Sorry for the last-minute posting, but that's UK weather for you....

by PhilBixby Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:53 am
Just got an email from Andy Coates saying he came off yesterday and got run over by a fellow rider... ...if you're out on the roads today anyone, take care! And... get well soon Andy - that's a fella who could do with a bit of better luck.

by Broom Wagon Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:04 pm
I went out on the MTB and I think it was the right choice not to go training, especially reading what happened to Andy. Did any others go out?

I've just checked the calendar and I'm not out next week either. I'm going to see Santa, I'm going to ask for an extremely light fast bike to give me 1mph more next year; doesn't matter what it costs cos Santa's bringing it....oh, the missis has just corrected me there: "I'm going to see Santa" is not technically correct, I'm taking the kids to see Santa...apparently. Suppose that means I won't get to ask for a new bike either.