Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by Broom Wagon Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:20 pm
Any takers for the non-stop ride this Saturday? Mr Bixby are you around to lead?

It might be an early finish for me because I need to be walking in my front door by 1.00PM this Saturday.

by PhilBixby Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:27 pm
I'll be there on Saturday. 9:00am start and I suggest we do the "northerly" of my ride suggestions; fairly flat and should have a following(ish) wind on the homeward leg. Unless it takes you an hour to do the length of your driveway you should be through the front door early!

by Cam B Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:02 am
I'll be there
by timj Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:45 pm
ill be there

by dave c Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:05 pm
I'll be there

by RichT Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:45 pm
I'll be there for my first training ride! Hopefully my MTB legs will be up to it....

by PhilBixby Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:31 pm
A large group out there under blue skies this morning - enough to field a big squad in the East Yorkshire series, worry every age group in vets racing and renew Clifton's presence in women's road racing. Clearly there was a collective Need for Speed, with nearly sixty miles being despatched at just under 19.5mph - a bit much for November but pleas to slow down fell on deaf ears (and apologies to the fella who dropped off the back on the way back in to town). Broomwagon, Jess and Dave C all took whopping turns on the front ("Dave! twenty-four-point-three miles an hour! Dave?!?".

A word about paceline riding - I'd suggested it up the A168 just to practice the form but it all got a bit out of hand. Here's how it goes:- As you get to the front of the faster line, gently move across to the front of the slower line, and once there just ease off a touch. The person you left on the front of the faster line should not need to accelerate to move past you and do the same; if they have to, the whole thing turns steadily to poo. If the person in front of you fails to do this and hammers off ahead of the slower line, let 'em hang there until they get the hint. If that person hanging off the front is you, note what's going on behind and knock one off. When it works well it's a great way to cover ground with minimum effort (or crank it up in a race for maximum speed) but if everyone's fighting to keep it together, it's wasted effort.

Fingers crossed for weather like this next week. Shall we go west....?

by Broom Wagon Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:17 pm
Another enjoyable training session again in sunshine and dry roads.

Just to give a more positive slant, admittedly things didn't go like clockwork on the A168 for a bit, but taking the ride as a whole, I think it was useful for everyone? Through a sort of cyclist's morphic resonance (try posting that on a forum and not sound pretentious :lol: ) we seemed to ride at a pace where everyone seemed keen to do their bit on the front but no one hopefully having such an easy time that it wasn't worth turning up - just the job for November riding.

West would be good - looking forward to next week already.

by Jess Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:46 pm
Fantastic ride, in gorgeous weather & great company. (and nice to be feeling good & not hanging off the back his time round!)

Here's my garmin stats, for those geeky enough to be interested. Though I have to say, I was rather hoping for a higher average mph given some of the aforementioned riding on the way home.

Sadly my heart rate monitor wasn't working - so no way to prove how hard (or otherwise :wink:) I was working.....

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/55660177 :D