Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by Broom Wagon Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:51 pm
Lets get the non stop Saturday rides going again and because I'm going to struggle a bit, let's start it off with the Bix's suggestion of the flat South route, Elvington, Howden, Hemingbrough etc.

This should be a good opportunity for those like me with uncertain fitness or unable (or not fit enough) to commit to all day club runs to start getting some good quality mileage.

9 o'clock sharp at the square...any takers?

by JohnS Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:35 am
I'll be there

John

by Cam B Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:34 am
I will be there also....

by tomf Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:15 am
I too
by timj Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:57 pm
Ill be there how far is this ride as i will have to cycle in

by PhilBixby Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:36 pm
Depends on how hard you push on the pedals but I did it in two hours forty-five the other day on me tod. Enjoy!

by tomf Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:58 pm
Just found out I'm going to have to sort out some work troubles in the morning... hope to see you in the square or failing that will try to link up in Elvington.
tom

by Jess Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:40 pm
Well, my morning didn't go to plan.
Set off for training ride & punctured before I even got to the square!

Managed to do a quick change & locate the evil thorn, before hotfooting it to the square on the off chance that someone might still be there. Sadly not, but I did remember fleetingly that the route was elvington - howden way so I began a hot pursuit.
My 'sprint' through town was somewhat thwarted by EVERY traffic light, (and my terrible sense of direction) but I made it through elvington to sutton at a smooth(ish!) 21mph.

Sometime later, near Howden, (in that head wind) it dawned on me that without a) some sort of miracle or b) the discovery of an onboard motor, I wasn't really going to catch the guys (a 15 minute head start at 20mph+ is a bit of an advantage).

Once I'd accepted that neither of the above options was going to happen I started to actually enjoy the ride so cracked on with it at a steady pace.

Looking at the route posted I realise I missed skipwith/wheldrake out completely. But I ended up doing Barlby Riccall/Cawood, Stillingfleet instead so maybe a similar mileage (?) -I then flew home via Naburn/fulford & was back just after 12.

Sadly my Garmin ran out of juice up at Osgodby, which is a shame as I think I'd have got quite a good average speed with the homeward stretch added. I just couldn't shake the feeling that I was 15 mins behind everyone else all the way round though. Good ride, but very lonely!

Hope everyone else had a good run - cracking day for it! :)

by Broom Wagon Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:01 pm
What a shame Jess, it was a v good ride and you would have probably caught us, if it wasn't for me being a muppet and not thinking where we were going and getting everyone to turn right towards Wheldrake at Elvington. It took Tom to get us back on track at Bubwith.

by RichT Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:44 pm
Just seen your post on the MTB forum and would be up for getting out on these rides.

I've just entered the Kielder 100 so need to get some miles in!

Would it be ok for me to come along this saturday if you're out?

by Broom Wagon Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:09 pm
Of course Rich, see you Saturday. Hopefull our natural leader will be there too and if Jess, Ruben and the regular squad (featuring Autumn Cliftonite's cover boy :wink: ) are out we should have a good group. If I can keep up with that lot I'll be well happy.

I'm tempted by the Kielder 100 myself as my first proper MTB ride, perhaps we'll have a chat about it on the ride (if there are any times where I can actually talk).