Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by mikeh Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:04 pm
The next Cafe Scientific talk held in the basement at Cty Screen looks worthy of taking a look. Read below for info, but basically its in relation to technology in sport. It's completely free and they still have 61 tickets left. Just go into City Screen and ask for a ticket.

Café Scientifique is an informal evening of lively discussion revolving around contemporary scientific issues of the day.

Each meeting begins with a short talk from an invited science-related speaker, followed by up to an hour of open discussion including a
Q & A session.

Everyone is welcome to attend and express their views, or to just enjoy a drink and listen. No scientific knowledge is assumed and everyone can participate. Please note that admission is free but by ticket only.

Date: Wednesday 3 November 2010

Venue: The Basement, City Screen Picturehouse, York

Time: 7.30pm - 9.00pm

Science and technology have played a major role in the development of the modern sporting world, from aerodynamic bicycles to drag-reducing swimsuits, oversize tennis rackets to prosthetic limbs. Engineers continuously strive to enhance human athletic performance, but at what cost? Join us as we debate Just How Much Technology is 'Good' for Sport?

Guest Speakers Dr Scott Drawer and Dr David James discuss some of the fascinating issues facing the world of elite sport. Come armed with questions and opinions. Find out what scientists and engineers are doing for 2012. Just how far will Team GB go in their quest for Gold? The two speakers will briefly present their case before entering into an open discussion with the audience.

Dr Scott Drawer is currently Head of Research for UK Sport and has a leading role in developing and implementing enhancement technologies for Team GB for the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

Dr David James, Royal Academy of Engineering Public Engagement Fellow is a leading sports engineer and commentator on the ethics of sport will specifically debate is there such a thing as technology doping and why are some enhancement technologies banned whilst others are not?

Café Scientifique takes place on the first Wednesday of every month at 7.30pm. Audience capacity at The Basement is limited to 70. http://www.thebasementyork.co.uk/venue-info/

The evening is free but places are limited so we highly recommend that you book your place(s) in advance by calling City Screen Picturehouse Box Office on T 0871 704 2054 and collect your ticket(s) from the Box Office. The Café does not make a profit or pay a fee to the speaker.
by trevorj Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:18 pm
As an older member I have never looked at the Racing and Training section as I have missed my chance to seriously train or race, but I enjoy the social rides. However, I am sure that this topic would be of great interest to many non racers and perhaps should also be posted on the general discussion board so that a wider audience sees it.
Perhaps I'm alone in not looking at this section regularly. If so , I apologise.
I can't go this coming Wednesday but will attend later meetings. Great idea.

by mikeh Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:01 pm
Apologies! I've cut and pasted it today. I hope I haven't left it too late to advise everyone.

by PhilBixby Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:38 pm
"As an older member I have never looked at the Racing and Training section as I have missed my chance to seriously train or race..."

There's no such thing as too old to race - http://www.lvrc.org/ !
by trevorj Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:02 pm
Never too old to race...
I thought you'd say this Phil. Point taken. Interesting website. Perhaps I'll start.