Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:35 pm
When we had the Pub! session a few weeks back, we talked about re-starting the Saturday training rides sometime over the next couple of weekends. As it turns out, I'm going to be otherwise engaged for the next two Saturdays, but I said I'd suggest some routes so I thought I'd punt the suggestions out, and if people want to start this Saturday they can road test some routes.

General feeling seemed to be that people wanted predictable routes (so they knew where each ride was going and could do/complete it on their own) but wanted more than one. So, here's my suggestions for four routes which could be rotated through each month:-

East:- The trad training route - York - Malton via the Buttercrambe road, Coneysthorpe, Terrington, then a loop of the Flat Ten circuit, then back to York.

North:- York - Tockwith - Wetherby then north up the A168 to Boroughbridge; Milby, Helperby, Easingwold, Crayke, Brandsby, Whenby, Sheriff, and back to York.

West:- York, Appleton Roebuck, Tadcaster, Bramham, Thorner, Barwick, Aberford, Sherburn, Cawood, and back to York (with a loop of the Bishopwood circuit en route).

South:- York, Elvington, south to Howden, Hemingbrough, Skipwith, Thorganby, Wheldrake, Escrick, Stillingfleet, Naburn, and back to York.

None of these are particularly hilly but the main aim will be steady miles with the group working together; pace a bit brisker than the social rides but no heroics. Assumption is that if people's finely-honed training programmes require harder stuff then they'll get out and do that elsewhere (possibly even on Sundays with Muzzy...?). As with last winter, if it's really, dangerously nasty on the roads then I'll not be out - you can only train properly when you're not injured.

So... ...does someone fancy leading the assembled masses the next two Saturdays, and are there a couple of these you're happy to kick off with? 9am start, back for lunch (all of the above routes took around 3hrs when we did 'em last year)?

by Broom Wagon Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:59 pm
I'm keen to start some proper riding again, though I'm unavailable this weekend, but shall be there the next. I'll lead it if no-one else wants to. I'd recommend we do one of the flatter ones just to get everyone going again and keep the pace steadyish.

Just as another note we talked about an evening training ride too (Thursdays would do me). Tulio was talking about doing something similar on the MTB thread (though he suggested Fridays). Maybe we should start talking to the dirty types :D and co-ordinate it.

by Tullio Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:33 pm
Hello, it's me :D

The Friday rides will be muddy, off road night rides probably up on the moors, so a misunderstanding there.

However, there are at least 2 groups of us who sporadically head out on the roads in the evenings from York. A bit leisurely to be called a training ride at this stage but heading into Jan I intend to do some more pacey evening rides and always up for company.

by Broom Wagon Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:04 pm
Yes, that's was what I was meaning, the rides from York. You mentioned 17-18mph. I think that would be fine at this time of year (it would certainly be fast enough for me anyway).

by Cam B Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:32 am
[quote="Broom Wagon"]I'm keen to start some proper riding again, though I'm unavailable this weekend, but shall be there the next. I'll lead it if no-one else wants to. I'd recommend we do one of the flatter ones just to get everyone going again and keep the pace steadyish.

I cannot come this Saturday but will come down the following Saturday (30 Oct).

by tomf Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:56 pm
Also around a week Saturday (30th), and happy to lead if needed - how about the Southern flat ride since that's through Broom's & my 'patch'?

by Cam B Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:07 pm
Sounds good.......see you then