Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:16 pm
As per the Pub! thread, we talked about the possibility of chalking up a few events which we might enter in a coordinated way, so we could be (reasonably) sure that we'd be there in numbers, could share lifts (if required) and make sure that newcomers weren't out there on their own. Here's some initial suggestions, simply from my experience over the past few years.

TLI:- The East Yorkshire Road Race Series of eight events. This year about six or seven club members did at least a few of them, with Tim and I riding most of them. Good, safe circuits, well marshalled. Being TLI they're done as handicap races so you're set off in a group of roughly equal ability and groupings are adjusted from event to event to keep it fair. Only (slight) downside is they're a bit of a drive out. I used to set off just before 5:00 to get there for 6:00 to warm up for a 7:00 start, but heading out a bit later would still do it. Reports, photos etc of this year's series at http://www.hullthursdayrc.co.uk/

BC:- Early season there's the very local Seacroft Wheelers RR at Bishopwood (four of us did it this year) in March, and Wetwang RR in April on a more challenging circuit. In May there's Steve Rigby RR at Kippax - again three or four of us did this year's. Not sure after that - Muzzy? Late season there's Braithwell (near Maltby) in September which Tim and I both enjoyed this year.

LVRC:- I did an early season trip in March down to Market Harborough for the Fleche Waltonne on a lovely, long-ish circuit with a short, sharp climb to the line. In April there's the Derek Smith RR at Hartshead - not a wonderful circuit, but usually a challenging race. In May there's the Barton RR (up near Scotch Corner) which I've never done, but I know Dave C rated it. June brings Doncaster Wheelers RR, The Tom Simpson Memorial RR (at Harworth, near Doncaster, which is always a very big event) and Barton Wheelers (over the bridge from Hull) summer RR on consecutive weekends. End of season there's the East Coast RR at Burton Flemming on an excellent circuit.

Plus of course there are circuit races at Croft and Tockwith - I didn't do enough to come away with any recommendations - anyone?

Your thoughts please, gents (and ladies)...

by Broom Wagon Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:41 pm
The East Yorks TLIs are one I'll target, even though some of the courses are too undulating for me. They're well organised and quiet roads. The undulations may become less of an issue anyway if I manage to get to target weight.

Other than that I'd wanted to do the Boroughbridge TLIs but it sounds like they'll not be run in 2011.

So the other choice is Tockwith aero series, if I only get the same fitness as this year at least with these I know I've a good chance of finishing in the bunch.

Other than that, the Bishopwood circuit is an obvious choice for a big Clifton entry in that it's a course that for those of us that aren't quite there, in terms of road racing to get a good race.

by Cyan Skymoos Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:54 am
Have decided not to bother with BC next year. I will be taking out an LVRC licence, and hope to ride the events Phil mentioned above plus one or two others. The Tom Simpson sounds like a great race, and I will try have good condition for it.

by Cam B Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:33 pm
I did two of the EYRRL towards the end of this season and then wished I had done more since they seemed good courses, etc. I would definitely look to do more of these next time. I intend to get a Vet's license again and look to do races Phil has mentioned. I am keen to do a race or two early season so Bishopwood race in March is something I would be interested in. Seeing as that would entail a BC license I would be interested in other BC races later on. I will miss out on Wetwang though.

by dave c Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:50 pm
For next season I aim to do the regional LVRC races as mentioned by Phil (+ hopefully Clifton cc one!) and also some Time Trials, maybe some of the Croft races also.

by Simon Donoghue Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:55 pm
Just came across this in a new group ( Yorkshire Circuit Series ) on facebook.

6 local clubs have put together a Spring and Summer closed circuit road series (TOCKWITH) for 2011. We are aiming to give the roadies some guaranteed events for the coming season.

Series 1 cat 4 only race, cat 2/3/4 raceTuesday May 10th,17th, 24th & 31st May, June 7th & 14th.Series 1 is aimed at getting the new riders involved in road racing with having just a Cat 4 race only.

Series 2 cat 3/4 race, cat 2/3/4 raceTuesday 28th June, July 5th, 12th,19th,26th & Aug 2nd.

Points and prizes will be finalized later and also a series championship is been held for both the spring & summer meetings with a team trophy for the highest placed team to be kept for 1 year.

Entry £10 per race 50mins each raceor you can block enter for 6 races for £50 so you get one free

Have fun & we hope to see you in the future

Dirtwheels cycles, Crosstrax, Boneshakers, Airedale Olympic, Clifton CC & Chevin Cycles

by PhilBixby Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:18 pm
Ah yes, I was at last night's meeting to thrash this lot out, but hadn't had time to post on here about it. I think the Facebook stuff gives you pretty much all the info.

It would be good to (a) get a serious team entry in for them and (b) get a small group of people who are prepared to run one event per series on behalf of the club. All the advanced entries will be dealt with by other kind souls so all we need to do is admin and EOLs on the night. Volunteers at the OGM, please?

by Simon Donoghue Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:52 pm
Phil - will definately be entering the 4th Cat races and would be good to be part of a serious (?) team. More than happy to also be part of the team that looks after the organisation for one of the meetings.

by Cyan Skymoos Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:22 pm
I notice the HTRC website have now put up the 2011 RR league dates.
Those of you interested might want to make a note in your diary and get your entry in early. I think they might prove very popular next year.

by PhilBixby Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:33 pm
Tim J has checked with the series organiser and he's happy to take entries as soon as you like, so if you want to be sure of a ride in the series then get it fired off. Standard entry form downloadable from http://www.theleagueinternational.com/standardentryform.htm and the organiser's happy as long as you have a TLI membership number and licence by the first race. I've scoured the amazingly cr*p TLI website and can't find a membership form anywhere but I'm assuming they'll fix that sometime.

If anyone's got any questions about the races or if you're in that "should I, shouldn't I" frame of mind have a chat to one of us who did them last year. It would be excellent to have a strong Clifton presence!

by PhilBixby Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:44 pm
Just bumping this back up to the top as it's very definitely "send off entry forms" time. From what I've heard, we'll have the following at the EYRRL series:-

Tim J
Tom F
Cam B
Reuben
John S
Me

...so if you're thinking of entering, get the form off and post on here. TLI membership forms can be printed off from their website and sent to Brenda Beldon - her details are on the Yorkshire page of the TLI site.

by Cam B Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:59 pm
Having puchaseed a BC racing icense I have also entered the Seacroft Wheelers RR (27/3) and Batley RR (29 May). Will also enter some LVRRC events (when timetable confirmed) and other BC events. May enter the Steve Rigby.

Getting the Silver BC membership led me to thinking about Bike Insurance. I gather the Silver membership covers me for 3rd Party claims. But with the prospect of more racing and falling off a possibility (and it being my fault) do racers routinely get bike insurance to cover accidental damage? 2 crashes last year entailed me getting both wheels trued and a wheel replacement - so did not 'total' (to use a younger person's word!) bike on either occasion.

by PhilBixby Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:24 pm
I suspect you may find insurance, if available, would be hideously expensive. When my BC licence turned up I noticed the leaflet tucked in with it advertising bike insurance which included cover (but I think only for theft) for racers and got an online quote - at around £475 I decided against it!

Occasional wheel-truing or level replacement is probably an inevitable part of racing but you were unlucky with last year's crash record. Just keep an eye on who's nearby in the bunch.....

by dave c Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:26 pm
Up to now I have entered:

27th March BC Seacroft Wheelers
Tli EYRR series

Waiting for LVRC calendar

Cheers

Dave

by Cam B Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:07 pm
[quote="PhilBixby"]I suspect you may find insurance, if available, would be hideously expensive. When my BC licence turned up I noticed the leaflet tucked in with it advertising bike insurance which included cover (but I think only for theft) for racers and got an online quote - at around £475 I decided against it!

Thanks for that Phil....I will give this a miss and look to think positive and believe that I will not crash and therefore have no need to make a claim!