Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:53 pm
There'll be a training ride from Exhibition Square at 9:00am on Saturday. Assuming that the weather will be somewhere between tolerable and pleasant shall we do the "traditional" loop that Broomwagon took the faithful around last Saturday, combined with a fast circuit or two of the "flat 10" course?

by caja27 Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:39 am
Hey Phil what avg kph does this group ride at please, and distance covered? Is it the same group as the Sunday group ride at 09.00? Cheers

by PhilBixby Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:32 am
Probably not a lot of point me guessing at average speeds as it varies wildly depending on which route and who's out on the ride. The group has varied - it's not the same bunch as Muzzy's Sunday ride - but mainly comprises a few of us who are racing at 4th cat / TLI level (me, Tim J, Tom, Broomwagon) plus a few who are having a first go at racing this year (Jonathan, Will, etc) with an occasional injection of pace by one of the fast lads (Craig, Darren, etc). Aim is to work together and keep it steady. Saturday's route is fairly up'n'down, with a bit of faster paceline stuff on the flat 10 circuit towards the end.

That's probably not hugely helpful.... :roll:

by caja27 Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:05 am
Hmmm ok so let's put it in the perspective of CC sat rides. Is it like the intermediate or Nail-it-hardcore-Howard group. No idea who Howard is but I seem, it apperas, to be catching on to the incomprehensible foreign language speak of the CC club :lol: :lol:

by PhilBixby Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:41 am
It's probably like a slightly brisker version of the Howard rides on the flat bits, but a slightly steadier version of the Howard ride on the uphill bits. I've no idea how it compares on the downhill bits, but it probably depends on your weight!

You'll be taking on Kevin-speak next, Charlie! End of chat! :wink:

by caja27 Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:07 pm
cheers ching chang chong! :lol: :lol: :lol:

by MikeG Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:55 pm
I hope to get along to joint you tomorrow Phil. The Malton-Terrington - Sheriff Hutton ride sounds good - looking forward to it :D

Cheers,

Mike
Last edited by MikeG on Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Cyan Skymoos Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:19 pm
I don't think i'm that fast Phil, I just wait till everyone is tired and I carry on riding at the same pace...makes people think you're fast :wink:

by ClaireG Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:36 pm
MikeG

"I hope to get along to joint you tomorrow Phil"

I thought 'jointing' had been made strictly illegal today? You'll be giving us Cyclists a bad name, oh, we already have one!

Enjoy your 'jointing' with Phil, that must be how he survived his 70mile 2nd Cat RR last w/e!

C

by MikeG Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Hi Claire,

That explains the relaxed pedalling style I've seen from some club members (no names mentioned!)- and to think I thought it was just good technique!

by PhilBixby Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:41 pm
Very pleasant training ride this morning - blue skies all the way. Couldn't imagine ever using either of those phrases again when we were out on those miserable January sessions.

Six of us set off, and we got the dramas out of the way early when Nick had a very noisy p******e just beyond Stockton; the tyre was so badly split that even with a new tube and some patches on the inside of the tyre it still had a worryingly peek-a-boo look to it so he was dispatched home at a gentle pace. After that we settled into a steady workrate on the ups and downs to and from Malton, followed by a through-and-off lap of the Flat 10 course. It wasn't that fast, but it was very tidy. Two hours forty-five, Normalised Power 230-odd Watts, and only a couple of attempts on our lives by car drivers. Who could ask for more?

You happy to make sure everyone knows where they're going again next week, Broomwagon?

...and a final call for tomorrow evening's road race convention at Brigantes, from 8pm!

by Broom Wagon Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:17 pm
I should be around next Saturday for a nice flat training ride :D. I shall post a route.

I shan't be along for a pint, after another all weekend of cycling, I should think my better half would take justified umbridge.