Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by paulM Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:02 pm
I was thinking of heading out via Appleton Roebuck to Tadcaster / Collingham / Harewood / Sicklinghall / Wetherby / Wighill. We could then either head straight for York or back to Tadcaster and then do a couple of laps of the Appleton Roebuck / Acaster Selby circuit? Looks a dry, calm day if a bit chilly.
See you in the square at 0900.

by tomf Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:57 pm
Looks like -4 overnight so best to be cautious.
[just putting my race bike back together...]
see you there
tom

by rockhopper Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:42 pm
just thought id say 'morning' again to the 5 or so riders who passed me on the main road in tadcaster....
it was a shame that as each went passed and i said good morning, no one replied.
you must all be so good at training that you are constantly at a pace where you cant speak. either that or you are all a bunch of ignorant roadie stereotypes.
remember, if you are going to be so rude, leave the team shirts at home. you are all a disgrace to this club.

by Tullio Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:24 pm
Mr Hopper,

I can assure you that we are a welcoming and friendly bunch, and there are plenty of anecdotes around this forum to testify. However, as you seem to have identified, what you witnessed today was a group out on a 'training ride'. As opposed to our 'social' rides these are used by riders to train hard for competition and there isn't a lot of spare energy for pleasantries, either amongst eachother or members of the general public.

Apologies if this seems a little rude to a bystander but we can assure you there's no ill intent.

by tomf Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:41 pm
I was on the training ride in Tadcaster and I'm obviously taken aback. I always try at least to nod, wave or grunt at passing riders and I said good morning to at least a dozen today, but I must have missed you somehow and I'm not sure why. Taddy traffic may have something to do with it.

But I won't be bullied into saying 'Hello' to anybody so willing to jump to the worst conclusion and bandy words like 'disgrace' about. Perhaps, Sir, you would like to reconsider your intemperate language?

Good day,
tom (who left his team shirt at home)

by rockhopper Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:26 am
gents,
apologies for the over zealous post, disgrace is a bit strong.

i am a big believer in being pleasant to all, especially when out doing the things i love. appreciate that the pace may have limited the conversation, but on a day as beautiful as yesterday, it is time to sit up a bit and enjoy, rather than go for the last tenth.

we arent going to ever do this for a living and by taking it too seriously we risk putting ourselves off (we have all seen people come and go)

peace and love.

by tomf Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:40 pm
Rockhopper, you are absolutely right about yesterday - the weather was much more suited to sitting up and enjoying than it was to 'training', as I found to my cost.
Hoping my eyesight is more reliable in future,
tom

by Rob Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:06 am
I said "good morning" to a sheep on one climb on Sunday......

by Broom Wagon Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:21 pm
What did ewe do that for?

by paulM Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:28 pm
"However, as you seem to have identified, what you witnessed today was a group out on a 'training ride'. As opposed to our 'social' rides these are used by riders to train hard for competition and there isn't a lot of spare energy for pleasantries, either amongst eachother or members of the general public."

Not totally sure I agree Tullio - I would always try to make the effort to acknowledge anyone - Cycling, on foot, on horseback and I thank car drivers even during races. It costs nothing.

But the Clifton jersey was on my back on Sunday. To be honest I dont recall seeing anyone in Taddy on Sunday. I dont know why. Tom was on the front and he's 6' 5" and I was behind him and I'm 5'6" and I had a thermal hat over me ears so I couldn't here bugger all. Anyway thats not really an excuse and it pisses me off if I acknowledge someone and they dont respond or look right through me.