Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:15 am
Just to confirm, there will be a training ride on Saturday leaving at 9:00am prompt from Exhibition Square. Depending on who turns up there will be either one or two groups. Weather forecast is still pretty bleak - we're looking at 2c early on Saturday so there could well be ice on quieter / higher roads - so we'll probably do the sensible if unexciting thing and head out towards Boroughbridge / Easingwold direction.

by PhilBixby Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:15 pm
Steady ride this morning with eight of us heading out northwards. Roads weren't bad, but in this weather you never know where you're going to find a patch that's had a clear night. Brisk close formation up to Milby, a lap of the TLI circuit at a race-like pace, and a steady ride back via Easingwold and Crayke. Just about kept together all the way round - thanks to all who came out.

I'm going to be up at Croft reminding myself how to pin on a race number next Saturday - who fancies fronting up the Saturday training ride? Just requires checking the weather, deciding if the "traditional" Malton-Terrington route is going to be safe (and identifying an alternative if it isn't) and then showing up at 9am. Oh, and vaguely ensuring no-one gets dropped and lost.

Volunteer please?

by Broom Wagon Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:20 pm
Phil, thanks for leading the training ride again. Obviously, I struggled, perhaps lack of fitness, so I need to do some work. Hopefully there was more to it than that though. I had one of those twenty four hour viruses on Wednesday and when I've checked my average heart rate it was 140 for the training ride and yet it was 152 on the the Reliability a week ago. Average heart rate of 140 could suggest I was having a very easy time :lol:, it certainly didn't feel like it. Oh well I will see what happens next week.

I'll get to the point though, I'm grateful people waited, but if I get dropped again, don't wait. This is a training ride and not a club run, if people wait for me when I'm obviously off the pace they won't get the work out they need. It's my job to get fast enough to keep up, after all I've entered races this year.

P.S if you're doing a hilly ride my intention is to hang on until I get dropped anyway and head for home - don't wait.

See you next week.

by Broom Wagon Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:23 pm
Ah, our post crossed in the ether - won't see you next week.

by PhilBixby Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:07 pm
"if I get dropped again, don't wait.."

Point taken, but it wasn't a problem today. We had a couple of pee stops while we waited, but other than that, it was business pretty much as usual. 55 miles in just under 3hrs, so 18½mph including the town bits, Normalised Power 195W.