Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:29 am
Just to confirm, there will be a non-stop 3hrs-ish training ride this Saturday, unless the weather goes seriously off the rails meantime. Forecast is a bit iffy with possible snow on high ground, so as per last week I'll turn up with route options to suit conditions.

It looks as though we'll have two groups out this week with a brisk group and a steady group. So, if you're planning on racing this season, or just want to get some slightly more serious road miles in to prepare for sportives or TT's, then come along. 9:00am start from Exhibition Square - prompt departure to avoid setting off already frozen!

by tomf Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:51 pm
With my weekend messed up by rowing coaching duties, I did my training run this afternoon - which was beautiful but brutal. Not the coldest day of the winter, but the most biting weather I've ridden in for a long while. I had my thickest woolly base layer, windproof shell, and two pairs of everything else, but my fingers were past complaining by the time I got in.
I did about 50miles out through Kexby, Pock, Millington, Nunburnholme, and back through Hayton, Bubwith and North Duffield. The NW wind was very unforgiving on the home stretch.
Two pertinent points: the Elvington/Sutton bridge really is closed now - there was a crane on it and no way even to walk past while it was working. And there was a bit of snow still on top of Warter wold, but none on the roads.
The forecast for the morning looks a shade colder and windier than today, so dress defensively and carry plenty of soup! Enjoy...

by PhilBixby Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:34 pm
As Tom says, forecast for Saturday on Metcheck is for 2c with a chill wind making it feel colder. There's the possibility of snow showers tomorrow, plus it'll be well below freezing tonight. So:-

-Intention is to do a ride up to Boroughbridge and do a lap of each of the TLI circuits, which will keep us on (hopefully) ice-free roads
-If we end up really freezing we can cut short at various points and head back for a shorter ride, and..
-We'll have the wind behind us for the return leg.

Aim will be a steady ride, keeping it all together and getting used to working as a group to keep things rolling swiftly. If you want to romp up hills, there's the H ride! Wrap up warm, and unless it goes very snowball-shaped overnight I'll be in the square for 9:00 (if you wake up to snow, check on here before setting out!).
by timj Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:13 am
Phil
which route will you take as i could ride towards you instead of coming into York
Timj

by PhilBixby Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:19 am
Hi Tim

Out along Wetherby road through Rufforth to Long Marston, right through Tockwith and Cowbridge, then up A168 towards Boroughbridge.

by PhilBixby Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:37 pm
I must admit I wasn't in the most positive frame of mind when I peered through the window at frost-covered roofs under a clear and very cold sky this morning. However, experiments with fitting another layer of warm clothing under my windproof top proved a success, and I rolled out towards the square.

We had a group of 8 or 9 out for a steady ride up to Boroughbridge on the "Plan B in case of ice" route. Initial thoughts of two groups were shelved and we stuck together - Claire and Cath eventually having to accept that they were well up to speed and could take turns on the front :wink:

We did all but the most icy bits of the four TLI circuits and returned via Helperby. Not a hilly route but a brisk pace on the flats made it very worthwhile, and by the time the sun came out properly it was verging on pleasant. Many thanks to all who showed up.

62 miles in 3½hrs; average around 17½mph and Normalised Power 177W.

by Broom Wagon Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:26 pm
Thanks for leading the ride Phil, it was an enjoyable morning.

Cath, thanks for the gel, it did the job nicely.

by Allan Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:05 pm
Enjoyed my first attempt at the training ride. Started to bonk at the 22 mile mark though and lost the group half way along the A168. Headed to Boroughbridge and home via Great Ouseburn and Newton. 42 miles in all over 2 hrs 23 minutes average speed just under 17.5mph so not such a bad workout after all. Looking forward to the next session but might not do a spinning class the night before! Thanks claire for watching out for me!