Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by paulM Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:44 pm
Well it looks like we are promised the first decent day of the year so far for sunday and may even see the big glowey thing that used to hang in the sky?
Plan is a 3hour fairly steady ride as I'm sure everone's fitness is not where they would like it to be. Like the Saturday ride I would like to keep to the mainish roads that might have seen some grit, possibly out in a Helperby direction, as there is a chance of frost early on.
Come prepared to ride not race & work for the group - warm clothing, cape, sufficient food & drink, tubes etc and preferably at least a rear mudguard of some description.
See you in Exhibition Square at 0900 for fairly prompt depart.

by tomf Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:15 pm
hoping to be there, sunny or no

by Jason Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:24 pm
Not sure I'll be able to make it - my son has passed on his cold to me...

Don't wait for me.

Jason.

by paulM Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:45 pm
Well I wasn't expecting any records to be broken on yesterdays ride - but I think I can claim the earliest puncture on a club ride in Clifton history - about 100 yds down Bootham - nothing to trivial either a woodscrew that went through tyre and tube. And the group then had a second opposite the bingo hall on Clifton green. I was thinking it was going to be a long morning but the ride from there went without any further mishaps. A19 to Shipton then Helperby - Easingwold - Yearsly - Whenby - S/Hutton - Flaxton - Home - about 50 miles for me. I kind of ran out of options as the roads around the Howardian Hills were icy with patches of snow still on the Whenby road, a lot of standing water and potholes everywhere. I didn't want to push our luck! I've only ever seen water once before in the river Foss ford at the bottom of Milking Hill - yesterday I was thankfull to make it through!
Enough of the sightseeing though. I thought the ride went ok with some good group riding. If any of you have any thoughts/comments please post here.
Next Sunday - nothing too severe but nearer the 70 mile mark I think?

by Jason Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:38 pm
Just about shaken off child-induced lurgy, but 70 miles is gonna be a wee bit too far for me after six weeks of barely riding. I'll get some time in on my own and try to keep up next time!

Enjoy it.

Jason.