Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:13 pm
Hopefully this will be going out with the weekly e-update but I'll post it here too:-

Saturday training ride. All of this is based upon current weather forecast for continued thaw (but probably wet and windy) - please check the discussion board prior to turning up! Plan is to do a steady ride on roads which we know are gritted and clear, to the south of York, and to throw in a couple of laps of the Bishopwood circuit (used for TLI and BC events) on the return leg with the option of a direct return for anyone who's frozen or knackered. Leave at 9:00 prompt - no waiting around in the cold - and back by noon.

Since we'll be sticking to roads where there may be more traffic than we'd usually like, aim is to take it steady and work at keeping the group together - neat, tidy, close group riding at a pace everyone can cope with. If you've got a rear light please fit it - I was out yesterday and it was really gloomy even in the middle of the day.

Once again, check this thread before heading out in case of last-minute snowfall or whatever.

by Dr Dave Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:08 am
8.07 - it's cold driving rain. Do I really want to do this - hell yes!

by PhilBixby Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:25 am
B****r! That means I'll have to as well...

by PhilBixby Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:03 pm
Well, despite a temperature of three degrees, a brisk southerly blowing freezing rain at us and huuuuuge potholes submerged under flooded sections of road, four of us got out for the inaugural 2010 Saturday training ride this morning. Full marks to Dave C, Dr Dave and newcomer Andrew for a solid ride in close formation and a general lack of complaint despite horrendous conditions. It took me about fifteen minutes to open my back gate when I got home as my hands were too frozen to hold the key....

Stats:- Just over 52 miles in 3hrs, Normalised Power 184W.

Here's hoping for better weather next weekend; route info to be agreed and posted nearer the time.

by dave c Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:13 pm
Good workout, thanks to the 3 of you. I knew when I was nearly home 'cos it stopped raining!

by Roo Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:52 pm
Good solid ride for the first of 2010, cheers guys, enjoyed despite the conditions. Cup of tea in the bath was most welcome on returning.

Here is the route and stats, (have to convert from Ks to miles though)

http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/work ... id=1970182

Andrew

by PhilBixby Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:20 pm
Andrew:- we've got email lists now for each of BC, LVRC and TLI racing, so anyone entering events, or with queries or wanting moral support while pondering putting an entry in the post can email everyone on the appropriate list. Want adding to any of them? Anyone else out there who missed the pub night?

by Dr Dave Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:25 pm
Boy was I cold when I got in - esp feet!

Thanks for the ride - not sure what to make of the stats but with the conditions and the weather induced lay-off I suppose a decline in performance was to be expected.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/22589915

by PhilBixby Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:57 pm
"...with the conditions and the weather induced lay-off I suppose a decline in performance was to be expected"

It's tricky working out the numbers from a ride like that. As I mentioned, my power figures were a Normalised 184W including the town bits, so about 195W for the main chunk of the ride. For me, that's top end of "endurance"; most of my 3hr+ rides to date this season have been lower than that. Races last year were generally NP of 220-250W but generally shorter than 3hrs, so it's certainly heading in the right direction as preparation for the season. Especially as we were having to deal with the cold as well; my face muscles were so cold I couldn't speak properly, hands and feet were white'n'purple. You can only expect so much of a body!

by Roo Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:41 pm
Phil, thanks. Not sure how my fitness will fare for real racing but would certainly like to get there so please add me to the list. I don't know what all the race category abbreviations mean so I guess just put me on em' all except veteran. Do you have my email address from the membership database?

by Dr Dave Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:17 am
PhilBixby wrote:"...with the conditions and the weather induced lay-off I suppose a decline in performance was to be expected"

It's tricky working out the numbers from a ride like that. As I mentioned, my power figures were a Normalised 184W including the town bits, so about 195W for the main chunk of the ride. For me, that's top end of "endurance"; most of my 3hr+ rides to date this season have been lower than that. Races last year were generally NP of 220-250W but generally shorter than 3hrs, so it's certainly heading in the right direction as preparation for the season. Especially as we were having to deal with the cold as well; my face muscles were so cold I couldn't speak properly, hands and feet were white'n'purple. You can only expect so much of a body!

Fair enough - I have limited experience of variations in figures. I know that on our typical 'H' rides the average speed and HR are generally similar but that's over 90-100 miles with a few hills thrown in.

I didn't really know what I'd be like not having cycled for > 1hr for 6 weeks (apart from a steady ride with Helen et al 3 weeks ago). Looks like speed is OKish but endurance has suffered - which is what you'd expect.

PS Am I sounding like the 'hubster'? ;)