Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by willhub Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:53 am
Well I don't know if the 2 weeks of interval training on a Tuesday and decent recovery has helped me on long ride too? But it seems like I am slightly improving every week atm, I was a quite a way in front of Howard on the hardest climbs today which was a first, I was also going at a pace that I felt I could maintain, so at a comfortable effort, like usual, 138 miles in and quite a fast pace, but the weird thing is, at the end of it, on the last bit of the ride, I felt as tired as I'd do on any ride but when I got home, I just had a shower, went and ate food, then crawled onto my bed and watched tv and was like a zombie for about 3 hours, got up and felt like absolute crap, sick, dizzy, seized up, awful.

I know a routine is important but I'm thinking of resting this week, maybe do something on Wednesday, a steady ride of about 20 miles but no interval or TT and more recovery, don't know if that's a bad thing.

by Arthur Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:51 am
A common pattern is to have an easy week every fourth, so yes, an easy week is a good idea.

by justsweat Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:42 am
The symptons sound like lack of food and electrolytes. An easy week does not really mean so much rest, but active rest, but shorter or sometimes longer, easy paced rides.

Think of the guys in the Tour, on the rest days they ride for 3 hours to clear all the rubbish out of their muscles and aid recovery by pumping fresh oxygenated blood through the muscles.

Brian

by willhub Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:12 pm
Well I've got a HRM for the time being.

I've used it today.

My max heart rate was about 190, that drag up over the A64 I think as you go into bishopthorope I was doing 34mph up to that and keeping over 30 up to the top and I was knackered my BPM was like 190 and slowly went down.

I found between 170 and 178 I can maintain but 175 is the ideal marker, anything higher than 175 and lactic build up starts to happen.

I gave it a sprint near my village and kept on going until I noticed the heart rate was at 185 where I stopped, was hard, I'd say anything over 180 would be for hills and sprints.

I'm sitting here over 2 hours after I got back and my heart rate is between 80 and 100 O_o, I'd have thought I'd be resting now? Maybe it shows I might be unhealthy in some ways?

Now on my main rides I'd aim to keep my heart rate under 180, if there is a head wind and I notice my heart rate goes over 180 I slow down.

Now of course I need to do some slower rides as people say it's bad to go faster all the time, I guess slow rides would be recovery, what should I aim to keep my heart rate at then? Under 150? Just walking up the stairs puts my heart rate up to about 130.

What's interesting is a while ago, don’t know if it was this year can’t remember, but I was using a HRM and I remember that around 155bpm was where lactic acid started to build up and I could only really maintain around 150 for a long while, so that I think shows an improvement as now that’s raised to around 175, also I know at that time I could easily get my heart rate to my max which was about the same, but to get it to my max now I have to really push into a head wind or really go for it any other way.