Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by lugster77 Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:51 pm
does anybody use either of these? just got the wko+ and any tips or hints gratefully received! :)
cheers
andy

by PhilBixby Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:37 pm
Hiya
Yep, been using WKO+ for the past year - veeeeery useful but depends what you want out of it, and what kit you're using it with. Post some more details, or PM me! Arthur's using it too (welcome to the nerdy end of the club....!)

by Arthur Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:50 pm
Not so much as I'm not riding the bike much, but it is very good. Do you have a copy of the Hunter and Allen book "Training and Racing with a Power Meter"? If not, you'll need to buy a copy, then read it. Then read it again.

by lugster77 Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:51 pm
ha ha cheers
am using it with garmin 705 and a powertap hub. looking to get fit for some 4th cat racing (most likely for next season now) i haven't had a good play about yet just a brief fiddle putting my vital stats in etc. going to hopefully try and find my power zones (?) etc in the next week or so. i'm starting from a relatively poor fitness level at the mo as i just haven't done enough riding lately so am thinking i will use and get used to all the kit the rest of the year, get a proper winter of training in etc and have a hopefully more fulfilling bash at road racing than my abortive (less than 1 lap before being shot out of the back.... :( ) attempt earlier in the year. i've ordered the hunter allen book and am currently reading the joe friel bible which i happend to come across in the library

by PhilBixby Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:15 pm
I'd second Arthur's recommendation of the Hunter and Allen book. I did pretty much what you're doing (but from a basis of already racing regularly) - fitted a power meter (SRM) in mid-season, used the rest of the season to see what numbers I was putting out, and then designed a winter training programme to improve on it - identifying what I was weak at and setting targets. Training programme was a home-brew using Friel, Hunter/Allen and Tony Williams' Flamme Rouge website, along with various other useful info on the web and elsewhere. Am happy to share info.