Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by willhub Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:19 pm
I'm wanting to know how I could better prepare myself for the long sunday runs, especially the ryedale rumble.

I find alot I get headaches even though I drink plenty of water and I wonder if I need some special cycling drink or whatever and maybe different foods?

I take plenty of snack bars, about 10 snack bars with oats in each time, got 2 water bottles.

In between the sunday rides I usually have a day off after, prefer it to recovery rides, then the day after that I do a short but hard ride, well at least hard for me, for exampel today I did 26miles and I average 20.3mph and I included abit of a drag on that then a descending down hill drag into head wind I think. I think these have been making me improve slightly as I am noticing I am getting faster, even on the windy days my average is hardly going down and I'm finding it easier to keep up high speeds and do quick fast 30+mph sprints.

Should I alter my diet? I dont really have one at the moment, its more like an average joes diet at the moment, some days we have pizza, some nights I have beer, some days we have sunday dinner etc..

Dont know if I am going about stuff the wrong way or what but any advice will be helpful.

Thanks
Willz.

by Arthur Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:06 pm
How much are you drinking? One bottle an hour in hot weather is a good guide.

by willhub Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:28 am
Arthur wrote:How much are you drinking? One bottle an hour in hot weather is a good guide.

I dont usually drink one bottle an hour as I'd be out before we got to a refill, I did that once and had to go 20miles without water :(, was a very hot day too.

by Arthur Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:29 am
Headaches are a classic sign of dehydration. If you're not using 750ml bottles, get two of them to replace smaller ones. If you are, stop at garages and buy a bottle to top up.

If you still get headaches, then look at other things (e.g. using sports drink as well as plain water), but if you are riding 100+ miles with only one stop, then I think you need to drink more water.
by justsweat Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:00 am
I have just been given a load of leaflets from HighFive specifically designed for cyclists. These tell you how to get the best out of yourself. I will bring a load along to Thursdays TT if people would like one.

Cheers

Brian

by willhub Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:44 am
I would like one thanks but I dont know if I will be at the TT next thursday.