Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by Cam B Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:47 pm
Mindful of the discussion on the 'Go West' thread.... I don't mind a bit of mud but then not every has mudguards like roof guttering and flaps the size of canoe paddles :D so lets 'Go North!'. That is: York - Tockwith - Wetherby then north up the A168 to Boroughbridge; Milby, Helperby, Easingwold, Crayke, Huby and back to York.

Bit flatter than last week so we should have a fighting chance of keeping things together. As last week, depending on numbers, we can look to split the group in the Square if need be.

See you in the Square with a view to getting going by 9.00.

Hope that's ok with everyone

Forecast is 3 - 4 degrees and dry(ish)

by AndyT Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:19 pm
Sounds good to me!

by Paul W Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:34 pm
Count me in.hope to have some better legs than last saturday :-)

by Sharpy Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:42 pm
Fiona and I will be there!

Worth noting that last week the less steady ride left before 0900 and I believe that as a result some folk that wanted to be in the group ended up in the slightly steadier ride. Guess we just need to make sure the first group sets off at 0900 with the second group off just after?

Chnace of snow according to my phone... game on! :D

by Cyan Skymoos Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:15 pm
I'm happy taking the pain North.

by Broom Wagon Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:06 pm
I'm not fussy where we go, but at least going North I'm not expecting to get dropped (though I could be proved wrong).

I might not be out if it really does snow though.

by mart66 Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:10 am
Should be out.

Our first trip north since the infamous peestop-gate incident!

Judging by the pace set by last week's 'slightly quicker' group, might be wishful thinking that the group will stay together.

Martin

by Sharpy Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:40 am
What is the plan for the a168? I know the pace normally goes up but is it to keep the group together or just smash it to Boroughbridge and then re-group?

by PhilBixby Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:18 pm
I know I probably shouldn't get involved since I won't be there but...

Paceline work up the A168 gives you opportunities to do two things:- Fast riding in a group (moving around the group, measuring pace for the greatest collective benefit, learning to keep really close to wheels to minimise effort etc) and doing (approx) 30sec very hard intervals above threshold. You can do one of these two on your own, whereas the other requires a group. Which do you reckon should be priority on a group ride? :D

by Sharpy Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:34 pm
For me keeping to group together... but I know that does not always happen so I wanted get a stall out early to cover it off. :D

by Fiona Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:36 pm
Hopefully i can stay with the steadier group until the A168 but i doubt i'll still be there in Boroughbridge :oops:
If that is the case then i'll probably take a shorter route back to York via Marton, Aldwark etc.

by Jess Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:20 pm
I actually think this is the easiest route to keep together on, provided everyone is sensible & pays attention to whats going on around them.

For what its worth, I've had some of my best training in hard but efficient/tidy group riding on this route.

Rather than 'smashing it' to boroughbridge to see who makes it there first, is better to push on with the pace but try and keep at least a couple of core groups together.

Always depends on who is out, of course, but hopefully we can split & ride so everyone benefits :D

by Paul W Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:01 pm
I've only done the last part of this route but I'm hoping to bag a few extra miles in and ride from malton.but rather than ride to the square.which road does the route exit out of York from?

by Cam B Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:33 pm
Wetherby Road (B1224)...If it's not icy we'll then take a right down Mill La - after Rufforth

by Sharpy Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:06 pm
All pretty much ttogether until the last 10miles,

Avg speed for out of town bit: 33.7km/h
Distance 92.21km
Avg speed for whole thing: 32.3km/h

Cheers

Sharpy