Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by Melly Tue May 07, 2013 10:49 pm
I believe Sharpy crashed tonight during the 2nd Chevin Series race and wish him the best and a speedy recovery, not sure of the extent but concussion and a broken collar bone are believed to be the injurys. GWS soon Rich. :(

by Cam B Wed May 08, 2013 7:19 am
Oh dear...that's bad luck. Get better soon Richard

by PhilBixby Wed May 08, 2013 7:21 am
Really sorry to hear that - hope everything heals swiftly.

by Sharpy Wed May 08, 2013 11:18 am
Thanks all! Not as bad as has been reported, pretty bad concussion, possible fracture to my right elbow (unclear on the x-ray so heading back next week) and soft tissue damage to my lower back.

Safe to say i am still trying top piece together what happened, all I can remember is the pace being quick but manageable and then its very patchy until I woke up this morning.

Still got a headache as well as some bruises, need a new lid it is split right across the front, it appears I used my head to slow down!! but a great advert for wearing one I have to say! Also my left shoe buckle is almost ripped off.

Going back to the cause.... I have a flat front tyre but not sure if that a cause or a result... if anyone has any info about it I would be appreciative of the info.

Plastic cover is all that is holding it together...

Bruising from the helmet being pushed into my head, although this is very light damage as my skull is not broken!!

Feeling a bit more "with it" apparently, although I can't remember this at all...

by DamianE Wed May 08, 2013 1:59 pm
I was in your group. Didn't see clearly but you were at the front, had just finished a turn and were swinging off to left - near the grass. From the sound and your flat tyre I would say you hit a pretty big hole and went down. Never touched anyone's wheel and nobody else went down. I would check your front wheel is still round! Glad you're ok.

by Sharpy Wed May 08, 2013 2:27 pm
DamianE wrote:I was in your group. Didn't see clearly but you were at the front, had just finished a turn and were swinging off to left - near the grass. From the sound and your flat tyre I would say you hit a pretty big hole and went down. Never touched anyone's wheel and nobody else went down. I would check your front wheel is still round! Glad you're ok.

Thanks Damian, kinda feels like that makes sense! Luckily wheel seems okay.

by RichardD Wed May 08, 2013 5:04 pm
We heard the ambulance and feared a crash. Glad you are on the road to recovery. Apart from the puncture, how's your bike?

by Sharpy Wed May 08, 2013 5:09 pm
Seems okay, couple of chips here and there but its okay! Quite pleased in that respect!!

by Melly Wed May 08, 2013 7:22 pm
Been on one of those boards after a plane crash Rich, not a pleasant experience ;-)) GWS

by Sharpy Wed May 08, 2013 7:39 pm
Melly wrote:Been on one of those boards after a plane crash Rich, not a pleasant experience ;-)) GWS

Wow! a plane crash?! That is hardcore! :o

I don't really remember, I do recall the collar digging into the base of my skull while I was on the hospital bed though!

by RichT Wed May 08, 2013 10:27 pm
Glad to hear you're ok Rich. Unfortunately saw everything! When you moved off the front you hit a hole which dragged you off to the side of the road and when you hit a bank of mud at the edge your tyre blew and the back of the bike flew round! Luckily everyone was in a line so they were able move out....

by Sharpy Thu May 09, 2013 7:03 am
Thanks RichT, glad in some ways I didn't catch a wheel or something, but a hole! Need to open my peepers then! :shock:

Also glad I didn't bring anyone else down with me, a silly mistake to make by all accounts. :oops:

Still could have been worse, my bike is okay and my front wheel more or less the right shape (needs a bit of a true) and I wam recovering (ish)!

by GrahamMartin Thu May 09, 2013 8:43 pm
Glad to hear things are better than feared at the time. Hope you make a full recovery and can get your kit fixed/replaced.

Noting that there is to be another race on the circuit in just a few short weeks, so wondering if there is anything that needs to be noted with regards the course/road surface.

by Sharpy Fri May 10, 2013 9:14 am
I think it was fine, just one of those things that can happen when racing.

Although I have seen at some triathlons they go out with some luminous paint and mark the worst holes so they are more visible? Nothing permenant but something that will wash off next time it rains - Maybe worth a thought?