Clifton CC Discussion Board

Shift that old kit, or those un-wanted presents, or see if anyone else has something you're looking for.

Moderator: Moderators

by G. Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:54 am
I have a Legend HCX and could be persuaded to part with it ... if you give me enough money to buy an Etrex 20!

Why do you want the Vista/Legend models in particular? The new Etrexes look like a significant improvement: they're smaller, run faster and have a lot more memory, so the annoying 'features' of my legend (such as the 500 trackpoint limit) have been removed.
by Twiggy Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:45 pm
I'm just going on recommendations from audax riders/websites. The main advantage of the old fashioned etrex is that they can take standard and have a fairly long battery life (I think the e20s take standard batts?). I've entered for the London-Edinburgh-London audax this summer and will be on the road for well over 100 hours so I want something I know I can rely on without needing a mains point or need to carry too many batteries. I've always found reading audax route sheets a bit of a chore (esp during the night!) so I thought a GPS would help. The e20 does look good but please pm me if you want to sell your GPS. Thanks.

by G. Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:09 pm
You've entered LEL? Excellent! I'll be volunteering at the Pocklington control so if you want an extra unofficial bag drop, let me know.

I bought my Etrex for exactly that reason: it took AA batteries rather than the inbuilt ones used by the Edge series (then the 705 et al). The Etrex 10/20/30 replace the Etrex Legend/Vista and as such, they also take AA batteries. It's definitely worthwhile getting one of the newer models, as they're more powerful machines.

By the way, if you want some training for LEL, have you seen the 600km audax running from York station on June 1st? You might know the organiser Aidan from the Wigginton audaxes - he was riding a trike this year - and he sounds like he's got the event very well in hand.
by Twiggy Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:37 pm
Thanks for the heads-up, the info. on GPS and the offer of support. I'm entering the York-Langholm-York audax (uses part of the LEL route?) and the Wiggy 300 so no doubt maybe see you on the road sometime this year. I'll consider the e20 if I don't get an offer of anything second hand.

by G. Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:09 pm
I'll hopefully be doing both of those, so see you on the road.