Clifton CC Discussion Board

Shift that old kit, or those un-wanted presents, or see if anyone else has something you're looking for.

Moderator: Moderators

by justsweat Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:55 am
I have a friend who is 5' 8'' who is after a bike to come cycling with us. Either to borrow or buy. Probably needs to be 50 - 52cm and just very bulk standard as he will use it through the winter.

Anybody out there with one give me a shout.

Brian
0794 770 9055

by Rob_h Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:42 pm
sorry I can't help you out with a bike, but just as a pointer, I am 5'8" and ride a 54cm frame, so 50/52 may be on the small side unless they have long legs/short body
by justsweat Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:28 am
Hi Rob,

I think most cyclist ride bike that are to big for them. We had it with Stacey, before I started coaching her, when the guy in the shop persuaded her to buy a litespeed for a fortune, which was at least 2 sizes to big.

I think it would be interesting, if we did a sizing day at the club, to see what people set ups are, and whether they are losing power or gaining drag because of it?

Cheers

Brian

by Rob_h Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:32 pm
Bike fit is obviously a topic that we could spend hours discussing. Having worked in 2 bike shops over the past few months, I have definitely seen a fair few people who have bikes 2 sizes too big for them. Unfortunately, without a 'professional' fit system in either shop, my colleagues and I measure people up for bikes using the good old fashioned technique of actually getting a person on one!

The main issue i have found with bike sizes is that the sizing refers to bb-seat tube length which is fairly irrelevant when considering the rider. I say this as the seat height can be adjusted over a large range. However, it is the top tube length that is the deciding factor for bike sizing (in my opinion), as it can only be changed minimally before the handling is compromised due to a change in weight distribution.

When I state that a 54cm bike is the 'correct' size for someone that is 5'8", it is more referring to someone with an average proportion of legs/body - and this figure is also suggested by many bike manufacturers as a good starting point. However, a valid point is that many women have longer legs in proportion to their body length, therefore a 54 my be too long and cause them to be stretched out far too much.

Also another consideration is that many riders of the past preferred to ride in a hunched back position whereas today's trend is seemingly towards the more aerodynamic flatter back - tying in with what you said about drag brian.
by justsweat Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:19 am
Personally I like your system of sitting people on bikes. I have seen two people with exactly the same proportions who struggle to ride the same size bikes.

I have also found some bike shops sell newbies bikes because that is the frame they want to get rid of. Not because it is the correct size. Before anyone jumps up and down, I am not talking about in York.

Being from a triathlon background, where lots of the 'newbies' have never ridden a bike before, I have spent an awful lot of time fitting people.

Maybe we should run a night where we do a best fit for the newer people in the club.
by John Banks Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:00 pm
Hi Rob and Brian
A sizing day and some advice from you guys who have been through this loads times would be extremely useful plus technique etc.
Cheers
John

by Rob_h Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:40 pm
I feel there is 2 sides to the story in terms of getting a bike that 'fits' and then adjusting that fit for a compromise between maximum power output and aerodynamic efficiency. Many social riders will be looking for a position they can be comfortable in for long sunday rides whereas a proper racing position is obviously very different (although when fitted well, there is no reason why this should not be as comfortable!)

The machines used more frequently nowadays to measure a person's every dimension are brililant pieces of kit and can be used to find a frame perfect for you, however, i do not personally think that is completely necessary and can be overkill.

I would love to give advice to anyone who is willing to listen, however being only 20 and still learning myself, I would appreciate someone wiser and with more experience than me showing the way - such as Brian of course! Currently not in York but will be back on the 29th of september so maybe it could be something to look into early in the winter season, with perhaps a time trial special at the start of the clifton spoco series next year!