Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to post announcements about Sportif rides, offers the club has received and similar such stuff.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:20 pm
Just to bring everyone up to speed with what the committee already know...

I've reluctantly decided, after lengthy discussions with officials at British Cycling, to cancel this year's club road race (scheduled for 29th August).

As many of you will be aware there have been issues with police and highways authorities interpreting requirements for safety at events differently this year. In the case of our road race this has meant that as of end of July we still did not have formal approval for the event, but had been told that we would almost certainly require traffic management at various points on the circuit which would cost in the region of £800. This combination of uncertainty and unreasonable cost put us, as a club, in a position where we could not continue with plans for this year's event.

This is the second event we have had to cancel this year, with our proposed LVRC race also falling foul of police and highways requirements, and only last month's Cycling City Races on closed roads in the city centre managing to get the official nod. I'm hoping that efforts are being made behind the scenes by British Cycling to ensure that next year things are different and a sensible approach returns, allowing us to marshal races within the club and keep events affordable. As soon as that's the case, we'll get the event back on the calendar.

It's probably worth mentioning that I may be looking to combine the BC road race and the vets race on the same day next year, in order to reduce the burden for organisation and marshalling. The York Cycling City Races are definitely going to happen again next year, and I reckon we stand a better chance of getting people out to help/marshal/etc at two events than three. More info to follow when available. Many thanks to those of you who volunteered in advance to help at this year's event. Stand easy!