Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to post announcements about Sportif rides, offers the club has received and similar such stuff.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:15 pm
When I took over the job as road race organiser it was for the club's annual British Cycling RR in August, but since then things have got a bit more involved. I'm posting this by way of an update to the membership and a plea to put at least one or two of these dates in your diary and come along and help events happen. It's good fun, doesn't take up much time, and gets you close to the drama of competition.

Okay... ...first up is a Clifton veteran's (LVRC) race on Sunday 30th May. This will be on a circuit based around Westow, out towards Kirkham. LVRC events are usually top-class racing by experienced riders, and there's something pretty inspiring about riders of up to 60+ still at it hammer and tongs. We'll need help with admin and organisation on the run-up, and marshals, finish judges and a refreshments crew on the day. Morning event, over by mid-afternoon.

Next is a big one. I'd approached City of York Council about supporting some publicity for Clifton's sporting events and they came back to me with "what we'd really like is a city centre race". British Cycling were very keen, so.. ..if all goes to plan Sunday 25th July will feature the Clifton Cycling City Races. There will be an evening elites race, support races for lower categories, plus children's races, family fun stuff and whatever else we can put on to make the most of closing a circuit including Duncombe Place, St.Sampson's Square, Goodramgate etc. This will be high profile, and if we can get it to work this year with some Cycling City funding, we can hopefully establish it as an annual event.

Much of the admin and support for this will be coming from the council and elsewhere but I'm sure we'll need people to help in advance and on the day - plus it would be tragic if we didn't have a club stand and plenty of people in red'n'black talking people onto bikes. All day event including evening.

Last but not least, the regular Clifton RR on Sunday 29th August; a two-stage (prologue and road race) event based around Sheriff Hutton. Last year's event had a full field of sixty and some good quality riders, and Andy (likemybike) has done a good job of promoting it over the last couple of years. Again we'll need help on the run-up to it and on the day we'll need marshals, helpers, finish judges and a refreshments crew. All day event, usually packed up and home by 5:00ish, with the biggest need for marshals being for the afternoon race.

It goes without saying that we'd like to see some Clifton riders in all of these events - the "I ticked the road racing box on my membership form..." crew will be getting pressure applied - but with a club membership at over two hundred, there are plenty of members who could put in a little bit of time to help make this a best-ever year for the club in road cycle sport around York. If you're up for being involved, please keep some of these dates free and I'll post more specific requests for help nearer the time.

That's all folks!

[Edited:- LVRC event date changed from 23rd may to 30th.]
Last edited by PhilBixby on Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by menticknap Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:01 pm
Sound absolutely fantastic!
Us Malton Wheelers, Im sure, would love to race in your City Centre race - Sounds great. We usually race in the Sheriff Hutton race (even though its a terror).
If you need a hand, give us a shout and I will see if I can summon up some support.