Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by rich_shirt Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:34 am
Hi all,

I’m completely new to road biking.
I was an avid MTB 6 years ago during my youth, but beer, girlfriend and work have since got in the way. I’ve reached a point in my life where I’m making drastic changes to my lifestyle (early mid life crisis) and I’d like to try and get back into cycling. I'd also like to participate in the Saturday Social rides to build by confidence and fitness.
My employer is introducing a cycle to work scheme and I thought it would be chance to get into sport. I’m 26 years old, live in Haxby, have a reasonable fitness level and have bags of free time. (That sounds a bit like a dating add :shock: )
I’m looking to spend around £600 - £800 on a road bike, then a couple of hundred on kit. What do you guys and gals recommend I get?
I was looking at a 2007 Bianchi Alu Carbon 1885 at Bob Trotters.
Can you get full carbon frames for this price?

Thanks,

Rich

by Rob Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:42 pm
Hi Rich,

With 154 registered users on this forum you could expect 154 answers to your question! :wink:

Thinking more about what riding you plan to do: could I play it back to you that top of the list is clubruns then as fitness grows you may move on to Audax/sportif and maybe some club time trials - then see how it goes? This is the common route into the sport.

If that's the case and you want to do all this on one bike then I'd suggest you look at something that used to be called a "club bike" but these days an "audax bike" or "winter trainer". This would be characterised by some low gears, lightweight frame (1.5kg) and clearance for full length mudguards. This would be perfect for clubruns where you will tackle some hills and many wet roads. As the weather improves into the summer the guards can come off and you can tackle some events. If you want to race a *little* more seriously you can slot in some lighter wheels and clip on some aero-bars.

If you agree with the above strategy then I'd look at offerings from Ribble (www.ribblecycles.co.uk), Tifosi (http://wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx? ... ike%202008) and Condor (the Agio and Fratello http://www.condorcycles.com/audax.html)

Good luck

Rob

Edit: There's also the Trek "Pilots", but you'll pay a bit extra for the badge! Nice bikes though.
Last edited by Rob on Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by PhilBixby Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:05 pm
My! Mid life crises are getting earlier all the time - mine didn't kick in until 44 (and that was, I hear you all chorus, TOO late....) - welcome, Rich

I'd agree with Rob that getting something which will take mudguards would be sensible for general use - especially if you're intending cycling to work on it and you don't want to start the working day with a soggy stripe up your undercrackers. Strap-on guards like the RaceBlades are fine for keeping the very worst of winter cack off you, but don't really compare.

You may end up with something marginally less sexy than a carbon race bike, but it'll be much more fun to ride most of the time and the finishing kit (gears, brakes etc) will be better for the money. If you get seriously into the road-riding lark you'll probably want to blow considerably more than a grand in about a year or so's time, and by then you'll know *exactly* what you want.

In addition to checking online I'd see what deals the local shops can do; there will doubtless be 2007 models discounted if you look around. And of course check the website page setting out membership benefits and find out where you can get 10% off!

by rich_shirt Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:27 pm
cheers guys!

I plan to use my hardtail MTB with slicks for winter rides and I can't cycle to work because I need my car, so getting a "soggy stripe up my unercrackers" doesn't bother me too much.
I'll have a look at Ribble Cycles and Wiggle for some ideas then pop into a local bike shop for advice at the weekend.
Phil, good idea about buying a discounted 2007 model.

It’s too early to say, but my plan is to eventually compete at a very amateur level (that's if I'm any good!)
I was wondering if there’s and excuse the expression "killer bike" out there in this price range that everyone was raving on about.

Thanks for your input :D

Rich

by Arthur Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:04 pm
No obvious 'killer bike', but lots of good ones, especially at the higher end of your range.

Full carbon: Planet X do a good value one (http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/aca ... ld_61.html)

Ribble probably do something that could be built up for around your price range (maybe a little more) but their web site doesn't work for me.

Don't get hung up on carbon. You can get a very good al frame with good bits on for your budget and that won't hold you back at all for racing. All the brands have something in this price range so it's a question of trying what fits and what you like.

by Rob Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:01 pm
rich_shirt wrote:getting a "soggy stripe up my unercrackers" doesn't bother me too much.

Just to be clear - its not just the soggy chamis - road grime rots your bike and, without full length guards, will cover your clubmates from head to toe.

by rich_shirt Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:14 pm
Thanks for the advice. I certainly don't want to pee anyone off behind me especially when they have to deal with the ghastly sight of my derrière. I'll look for one with full length guards or at least eyelets so I can attach some gaurds at a later date.

Rich

by Rob Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:55 pm
Hey Rich, am not intending to make too big a thing out of guards issue, just sharing my experience - have been doing this a while. Don't lose sight of the gears thing either - you'll want something in the mid to high 30s going up to something in the 90s. This can be achieved by either triple or compact double - personal choice.

R 8)

by Tullio Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:27 am
Hi Rich,

As MTB Captain I'll put in a quick plug to get you on your MTB again also. Pop your knobblies back on and come and join us off road sometime too. We do a monthly Club run - nothing too serious, just get out there into the hills for a sociable 3 hour ride; weekends away; some local competitions if you fancy it plus some evening and night riding. We've riders of varying abilities and we NEVER leave anyone behind.

Also, regarding your question, maybe Jeff Barber is following this thread and can contribute. He's been looking for a road bike with almost identical criterea and has been trying out a few and investigating pricing deals. I think he settled on a Trek in the end.

To back up Rob's comment on Ribbles, I bought one 9 years ago and still ride it regularly. Good value I think and much more capable of competition than its rider.

The main thing is don't think you have to spend a fortune and just get out there and ride - it's much more fun in a group also.

by barberj Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:41 pm
As Paul says I have just placed an order for a Trek 1.7 for £800. Before that I tried ten bikes at various local shops which I suggest you do to give you a feel for what works for you. I certainly found that carbon bikes can be more comfortable than some aluminium bikes but this is not always the case. Certainly the Trek I have got seems fine in this regard. My plan is to get some more aerodynamic wheels next year and keep the ones they come with it for winter.
Also from reading books like bicycling science, the main advantage of a road bike is in aerodynamics (mainly because it puts you in a better aerodynamic position) followed by better rolling resistance. The weight of the bike does not make much difference.
On the getting fit front, I have found just commuting to work every day works wonders for your fitness. I personally keep a set of work clothes and shoes at work and change every day upon arrival at work. For commuting mudguards are a done deal!