Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by NickScull Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:31 pm
Helen has deputised the write up to me this week.

As promised we turned up at the square on mountain bikes for a snowy "mini-Scotton", but nobody else showed. Could this be the first time that a Clifton Sunday ride has included no road bikes?

We turned off the road at Strensall common and managed nearly all of the rest of the way to Hovingham on tracks, via High Stittenham, Mowthorpe and Terrington.

After being banished upstairs for our apple pie (I guess I should be grateful that they even allowed us in in that state) we were behind time so took the easy option of tailwind and tarmac back to York.

What was everyone else up to? We reckon you were sitting out the thaw at Uncle Kevin's having tea and tiffin! And who was that Clifton rider on a mountain bike who rode past our house at 4?

Has anyone got any more detail on Kit's adventure in the Girvan? There not much on the BCF website except a quick m.i.d.

Nick

by SteveWood Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:49 pm
Well the time trial I was doing was cancelled because of the snow, so had to settle for a turbo session. :cry:

by PhilBixby Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:52 pm
"Has anyone got any more detail on Kit's adventure in the Girvan? There not much on the BCF website except a quick m.i.d."

We had Kit's mum and dad round for lunch, but they had no inside info. Am planning a session on the turbo when I can bend sufficiently in the middle...

by Andy J Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:06 pm
No riding for me this weekend, toncillitus struck me on weds evening after having spent the day up in the dales on the bike in glorious sunshine. As Woody said the teesdale spocco was cancelled, received a text message at 6.40 this morning telling all riders this was the case, I wish all organisers were this efficient.

by Arthur Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:27 pm
A brisk couple of hours on Friday was followed by a brisk couple of hours on Saturday. The former was particularly "character forming" as I hadn't really twigged how much the weather had changed and was rather under dressed! After dragging all the winter gear out from the back of the cupboard for Saturday things were much better.

Today I have mostly been eating cakes, but a trip round Norwood Edge on the winter bike beckons tomorrow.

by BroomWagon Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:53 am
Nick, if that was on the Selby - York cycletrack (I think it goes near you) on a green MTB, I'd guess that was me.

I had intended to get some good miles in to be ok for Gerry Boswell's audax next week, but the weather was so grim I just had a potter around the cycle tracks on the MTB.
by Rob Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:00 pm
NickScull wrote:Could this be the first time that a Clifton Sunday ride has included no road bikes?

Moreover, its good to see the clubrun braving the elements and continuing the long record of no weather related cancellations!

My weekend has been a tale of grabbing 1-2 hour rides in between lots of family stuff - and it all worked out pretty well.

I was coming back in on Saturday morning as the Saturday gang were heading out - a bunch of what looked like 15+ riders with Howard at the helm. A smattering of club colours and disciplined riding in twos - a sight to behold and a great advert for club cycling (and the Clifton). Top stuff. Where did you get to?

by Kit Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:32 pm
Girvan: I crashed out on stage 4. Happy Easter.

by Helen Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:06 pm
How are you Kit ?

I understand the weather was pretty grim up there and they had to miss out some of the big climbs.

Helen

by Willy H Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:09 am
My plan was to dodge the snow and head South over Easter, to be more precise to test the ups and downs of the Sussex Downs.

One vital element of the plan failed: the snows caught me up, or rather the sub-zero temperatures further enlivened with howling sleet gales. I think I was the only road-rider about, but quite a lot of muddy Mountain Men! Personally I stopped being exited by playing in mud at around age 5, but hey-ho!

Rob suggested we entertain each other with Memorable Rides: well I have one here:

Yesterday I found myself at around 1pm in Basingstoke, trying to find a direct route North to Aldermaston. If you're wondering why Aldermaston I can recommend searching Google under either 'Aldermaston' or 'CND'. It is where thoughtful people go on Easter Monday.

Anyway, Basingstoke is the hands-down winner in the 'Most Awful Cycling Town Anywhere' competition! I suggest BC or Sustrans or CTC relocate there. As it is, the HQ of the AA (this probably explains it!) dominates a nightmare of racetracks all leading to mega-multistory car parks and town centre 'delivery zones. There are no ordinary roads at all! Absolutely NO direction signs out, except to motorway M3 (EorW)!

I survived a half dozen sliproads before heading West on the M3(W), but only thanks to lighter than usual traffic, and no trucks. Maybe this town planning abberation is a direct result of local brain malfunctioning resulting from fall-out from nearby Aldermaston!

Best ride of the week-end: doing several laps of the Regents Park outer circle killing a half hour before the 16.50 Grand Central 1 non-stop (1hr 50min) departure from King's X to York.

If you lived in Central London you too would be out there, mixing it with the Camden and Highgate roadies doing 6 minute laps on oh-so delectable machines! Being watched by the London Zoo's Giraffes each round just add unique cachet!

To be recommended.

by Tullio Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:40 am
We went to Hubberholme in the Dales for Easter to meet up with a group of old friends and their families.

Gill rode over there on Thursday against the wind and rain.

Weekend activities in involved some low level walking, sledging on Fleet Moss and a family bike ride to Arncliffe for a run in with the Landlord 2 weeks in succession..'Don't dry your clothes near the fire! I don't care if your kids are cold it was your decision to bring them out on bikes' He was nearly wearing his mushy peas.

After heavy snow Saturday night, some of us attempted a training loop over Kidstones north to Aysgarth then back over Middleham through Coverdale. We made it over Kidstones but Midleham was just a slushy ice-rink and impossible on road bikes. It was good to see more cyclists than cars on the ride though.

On Monday, Gill rode back again...falling off on the ice :roll:

by Arthur Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:46 am
I think you should name and shame the pub so we can all avoid it.

by Tullio Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:54 am
With pleasure...

The Falcon in Arncliffe. Shame really as it's one of the last, unspoilt pubs in the Dales and in a great location. However, Mr Miller is also an antique so I'll be avoiding until he retires.

We bumped into a group that we'd met getting thrown out of the George in Hubberholme the previous evening. Another charming character. 5 of us wandered in for a quick pint before dinner;-

'We're full!' pointing to lots of reserved signs on the (empty) tables.

'That's OK, we only want a drink'

'There's nowhere for you'

'Can't we just stand at the bar?'

'You'll be in the way for the diners. You'll have to leave.' So we did.

The group we met had been staying at the George and had checked out early because he was so rude, so we were having a chuckle about the hospitality and warm welcome visitors to the Dales get.

by IanH Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:49 am
The Bolton Arms at Redmire is also a place where you will get service with a scowl, or should I say no service with a scowl as when we walked in to the almost empty pub a couple of weeks ago early evening to ask if they were doing food the landlord just said "fully booked" without even looking up from what he was reading.

Pehaps this is becoming a Dales thing to drive visitors away.