Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Arthur Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:39 pm
So has was the weekend for everyone?

Rob and I met up on Sunday afternoon for a brisk training ride round the Wolds. How was the club run? Anyone racing?[/url]
by Rob Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:56 pm
Arthur wrote:Rob and I met up on Sunday afternoon for a brisk training ride round the Wolds.

This is code for "Arthur half-wheeled Rob for 2 and a half hours" :roll:

Three Clifton pairs faced the time-keeper in the Hull Thursday 2-up on Saturday. Result and pics (which tell a thousand words!) at http://www.hullthursdayrc.co.uk/2008/El ... Report.htm

Charlie and Nigel 16th with a 56 min ride, Nick and Andy a minute behind them in 20th with me and Muzzy a further minute adrift in 23rd. It was a high quality field and the course isn't known as the "Hardriders circuit" for nothing! Downing and Williamns set a new course record with a 30mph ride, some 5 mph faster than us - mind-boggling. And as Pete Longbottom once said to me "that's the hardest 5 mph of the 30...." Me and Paul last rode this event together in 2000 in similar conditions and on saturday we managed to record the same time, almost to the second. I suppose, as a personal note, I couldn't really expect more than to return to racing at pretty much the same standard that I left it 5 years ago...

by SteveWood Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:56 pm
Big apologies again to chris c, for not being able to make it to the Hull thursday 2 up time trial :cry: , its seemed we missed a good event.

by Jon G Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:00 pm
Went out with Kevin's group of 9 (I think!) on Saturday to Raskelf. A second group similar number led by Howard wentt to Kirbymoorside. Hopefully he will post a report shortly. Kevin's group consisted of other than myself, Young Arthur, Elaine, Dave John, Bob and couple I cant remember the names, sorry!. Well the group set a blistering pace out of York through Strensall, Farlington, heading to the climb at Brandsby (which Arthur shot up I must add). across to Raskelf and with the aid of tail wind back through Alne, Linton on Ouse Tollerton Overton etc. A very brisk 60ish miles I think. With my ride from near Selby I clocked 88 miles at Av speed of 16.2 which is more training pace than social. But I'm not complaining I need the exercise. All in all a good day slightly spoiled for me at least finishing in the rain. And apologies to Arthur who touched my back wheel coming through York and came down near the end, hope your well.

Jonathan

by Tullio Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:19 pm
7 of us headed to the Dales for our March MTB club run. The forecast said grey in the morning clearing to patchy clouds in the afternoon and that's what we got, sort of.

Deb planned a route starting at Kilnsey over Mastiles Lane to Street Gate, then North, over High Cote Moor, to lunch at Arncliffe. We made good progress up Mastiles Lane but then turned directly into a strong, cold, headwind for the rest of the climb even having to pedal down some bits. The pub in Arncliffe is 'quirky', to say the least, with a menu of 3 items, 1 beer (served from a jug) and the grumpiest Landlord you'll ever meet. A pub of true character!

After lunch we headed along Littondale then straight over Old Cote Moor, a 400m climb being about 50% pushing due to the gradient and slimey mud. At the top we were greeted by sheep, great views and...snow! Time for some extra layers. The descent was fabulous, nearly everyone taking a gentle tumble at some point, as the skies cleared to give way to sunshine.

To finish we headed back to Kilnsey via a 6 mile road bash.

Great route, thanks Deb.

by HowardD Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:13 pm
As Jon G outlines above, Kevin's Saturday social ride this week was split into two similarly sized groups; group one (my group) went to Kirbymoorside via Kirkham and Malton and returned through Hovingham and Bransby.
This time I decided to really concentrate on not inadvertently losing anyone and I therefore undertook frequent headcounts (a first for me) and can thus state with some certainty (again a first) that our group comprised of nine riders. Regrouping stops were taken when necessary. A great day's riding consisting of 83 miles at a (wheels turning) average of 17.8 mph with no-one lost. Special mention to siblings Iona and Callum and father Richard who joined this group for the first time. It was smashing to have them along; they are all accomplished cyclists and I think it's fair to say that Callum, despite being mounted on a, er, slightly distressed machine which incidentally looked older than him, comfortably out rode us all, including me on my ‘blingy’ Madone. And Iona looked entirely composed and fresh at the end of the ride, unlike some. As I always say, competence is depressing! Thanks to Kevin for once again furnishing me with a carefully thought out route.

by Dr Dave Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:41 pm
As outlined by Howard we had an enjoyable ride to Kirkbymoorside - enhanced by the excellent fare to be found at a certain cafe not far off the A172......

Having started early to increase my daily distance (I think it's called endurance training :) ) I found that on returning home I'd run up 97.5 miles so despite the rain I couldn't resist going around the houses for the extra 2.501 miles needed to clock up my maiden century - thanks to all the group for their company and slipstreams!

by Helen Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:18 am
Nick,Bernard and
Nigel joined me on Sunday for the club run to Otley.We were glad the weather was better than forecast.We got to Wetherby in time to wish the wheelers a good ride and headed up to Arncliff Craggs.Nick then took us on his tricksy route which led us out halfway up Norwood Edge from there we descended to the resvoir climbed back up and into Otley for our cafe stop.It was warm inside and there was apple pie with custard.Fortified we set of back
to York skirting round Leeds and coming in chasing the sun via Thorner and Tadcaster.

This weekend the club run will be going round Lockton/Levishon

Helen

by Kit Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:41 am
I rode the CDNW event at Saighton, Cheshire. Three Kinesis riders made the break of 10, becoming 8 as the race progressed. With two laps to go a prolonged bout of taking it in turns to attack allowed me to get away in the company of James Williamson and Tom Barras. With around 3k to go they jumped me out of a corner and I didn't have the legs to get back on. Barras won, I should have done but was tactically inept and came in 3rd. Disappointing, must try harder. Team mates 4th and 5th.

by Rob Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:51 pm
Kit wrote:was tactically inept and came in 3rd.

So what will you do differently if in that situation again Kit?

Good luck in the Girvan.

by Kit Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:48 pm
I'll use the fact that I have two team mates in the chasing group as an excuse for sitting on and not working, then I'll be fresh for beating them in the sprint if we stay away. Or, if we're caught, my team mates will be able to counter-attack and (hopefully) win.