Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:49 pm
I've had a call from Tony Fewster, who picked up a tube wrapped in newspaper and a couple of lacky bands in the wake of this morning's ride flashing through Upper Helmsley. PM/email me if you lost it and I'll pass on Tony's phone number!

by Rob Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:43 pm
I was talking to Tony over the weekend - he's that senior rider you see near Gate Helmesley most Saturday mornings,often in the old Clifton green colours. He was telling me that in 1947, as still a junior, he won the Yorkshire Senior RR Champs. Apparently he had been dropped on the last climb before the finish in Skipton, but as the small lead group started watching each other for the sprint, he managed to claw his way back and "ride straight through them" to win the race.

by Rob Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:48 pm
Oh yes, and the other thing was that Tony is still riding around on an old racing iron of uncertain vintage. I asked him he ever thought of picking up something a bit more modern. To which he replied "what for? Its the engine that's b*ggered, not the chassis!"

by JamesM Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:56 pm
That would probably be Dave Byworth, he mentioned something had dropped from his bike, i'm quite sure he said a tube (or tub).

by PhilBixby Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:26 pm
Thanks for that, James. Dave and his tyre now have a tearful reunion planned. :)