Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Jason Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:10 pm
Dear all

I’m new to the forum, so I hope this is the right place for my query…

I’ve been riding the lanes around York for a couple of years now, but to give my riding a bit more purpose, I’ve entered two sportives for later this year (the short White Rose Classic route and the medium Ryedale Rumble route). I’m also hoping to be able to arrange work–life matters to be able to make it to your TTs in the summer. With these aims in mind, I am hoping to hook up with some riding (training?) partners.

“No problem” you’re probably thinking, “come along to the Saturday ride with Kevin!”. Good idea, and I did make a couple of rides a while ago, but the problem is that with a young son at home, it’s hard to justify taking up most of the day out on the bike. So, is there anybody out there who would be up for an earlier (8 / 9am) start on a Saturday or Sunday every now and again for a three to four hour ride, perhaps with a short coffee stop? I don’t know if it makes any difference, but I currently average 24 – 27kph on routes between 20 and 70km, but I struggle a bit on the hills. I realise that as the sportives approach I’ll need to put a few more hours in, but I’ve some time to earn the required brownie points yet!

As an alternative, would your Wednesday evening rides be a good starting place?

Thanks in advance,

Jason.

by Dr Dave Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:01 pm
Hi Jason

Once the evenings start to get light I'll be hoping to get out a couple of times a week for an hour or so - I suspect a lot of other members will do likewise. The Wednesday night training ride is probably a wee bit fast for you right now I'd guess.

Re weekends I will be out on Sundays for a few hours occasionally after mid-May so perhaps we can hook up if you're interested.

I'm sure others will post offering time/suggestions too!

by barberj Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:21 pm
I would be interested. I also have three young daughters so I cannot get out as often as I would like (currently once a month for events) and need to fit riding in between family life.
I have also signed up for the White Rose Classic short route and I am hoping to have a go a the 100km Scotton and NYMBO mountain Marathon this year.
I have also done a couple of NYMBO Lanequest events during the winter and would appreciate a partner for doing some of the summer Trailquest events.

My e-mail is jeffrey@barberhome.co.uk.

by Jason Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 pm
Thanks guys,

Drdave - I'm always up for an evening ride (I've got a relatively decent light set so I've been able to get out once a week or so during winter) as long as it's not freezing or too wet, so feel free to contact me when the evenings get a bit lighter.

jbarber - I'll drop you a line with upcoming free weekends to see if anything suits your availability.

Thanks again.

Jason.