Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by ClaireG Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:42 pm
Quoting Dr Dave's words from Saturday, "Kevin is a victim of his own success".........

....and so it was, that 20 of us gathered at the Square on a glorious Saturday morning, eagerly anticipating (split infinitive?) our route leader's choice of lanes and of course, destination cafe.

We headed out up Howsham and Leavening to Thixendale and Huggate. The large group naturally split en route, always regrouping at the top of the climbs. It was a pleasure to show off the Yorkshire Wolds to some of our new members and visitors.

At Huggate, Bernard took 6 of us on a slightly longer, hillier route through Warter and Nunburnholme, partly to stretch the legs and lungs and partly to create 2 sittings at the cafe, with such a large group! The targetted Peace Centre / Buddist cafe at Kilhelm Percy was unfortunately closed and so the old faithful, Millington cafe came up trumps once again.

Being second sitting, still didn't stop Howard keeping up his reputation of icecream starter and cream meringue dessert!! But even those didn't affect his speed on the way home and an almighty charge back to Stamford Bridge ensued. Personal thanks to Dave Byworth for several pushes to keep me in the chain for much of the way and to Dr Dave for pacing me back when the elastic finally snapped!

All regrouped at the S Bridge cycle path for the last few sunny miles back to York. Thanks to Kevin & Bernard for leading the way.

by mal Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:28 am
Such were the constraints on my time - "you will do that painting this weekend" - and my delight at the pleasure derived from the attrition that was last week's reliability ride, I did it again on Saturday morning. Who could resist Mur de Crayke, Oulstonberg, col d'ampleforth and cote de Birdsall on such a fine spring morning (OK it's february but it felt like one)? And very nice it was too!

by justsweat Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:54 am
As someone new to the club and area, can I just say thank you for the ride on Saturday. It was throughly enjoyable with a choice of different paces, with no one left behind.

I think Kevin did a remarkable job keeping all the diverse talents happy.

Thanks again

Brian

by PhilBixby Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:45 am
Saturday was an appointment with suffering on the turbo but Sunday was a lovely (if freezing cold at first) ride; set off with Steve on the club run route but peeled off at Ripon for a more direct route to get home by lunchtime. Was joined by Cycle Heaven's new shop manager (moved to York last week, did Clifton club run this week, top man). A steady 55 miles under blue skies. Gorgeous.