Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by nickb Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:54 pm
Cycle heaven this week?

Few comments about extending the loop this week. When we get to colton, go straight on over the A64 to bilbrough and back via askham lane?

by stevesavage Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:17 pm
[quote]When we get to colton, go straight on over the A64 to bilbrough and back via askham lane?[/quote]

Is this actually any longer? On the map looks the same distance to me. How about doing another loop around the airfield ie when we get to Appleton Roebuck turn right instead of left and loop around again - about an extra 5-6 miles, and then back via the traditional route.

by paulM Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:44 pm
Or what about turning left on the way out of Appleton Roebuck for Bolton Percy, Tadcaster and back via Wighill and Askham Bryan. That would introduce a few lumps and bumps to the ride, and except for the narrow section after Healaugh the roads are good? I hope to be there but the logistics of getting to Cycle Heaven for 6:30 mean I can't guarantee it.

by nickb Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:27 am
Only repeating suggestions!

Going over the a64, bilbrough is actually about 5 mile extra but both sound good.

by IanH Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:40 pm
I think I will have to give it a miss, I slightly strained a calf muscle having a rare 10 minute jog on a running machine at the gym, (silly s#d).

Will have to ease it back in with a few steady rides to see how it goes.

Have a good ride whichever route you end up deciding on.

by Andy J Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:50 pm
see you there guys

by SteveWood Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:38 pm
Should be there too.

by Andy J Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:54 pm
Good ride tonight, route out through Bish, Appleton Roebuck, Bolton Percy, Tad and back in through Askam Bryan. Pretty brisk with an average of 18.7 mph on the old computer and approx 25 miles from Cycle Heaven back into York.

by nickb Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:29 pm
Was good, i got 29 i think, from door to door (heworth).

You must have slowed right down Andy, i averaged 19.6!!

Just need to extend the stockton lane ride now... any ideas?

by paulM Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:49 pm
I also averaged 18.7 with 30 miles door to door. It must be all downhill back to Heworth Nick?
An idea to extend the Stockton Lane ride would be to instead of turning right at Bossall, continue to Howsham and turn right at the top of Gally Gap and back to Buttercrambe. That would put an extra 5 miles or so on the clock?

by SteveWood Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:17 am
I clocked 44.6 miles, ave 18.1mph.

by stevesavage Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:51 pm
I clocked 0mph chained to my desk.