Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by cath Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:38 am
I received an email from Crispin Oliver who'd like some help re. cyclo-cross:

I am interested in starting a bit of Cyclo-cross. Bikes: I`m aware of what is on the market, but a friend of mine who did some a few years back tells me
that it is far better to go basic and rough and ready and put one together in a pretty rudimentary fashion as it will get a huge amount of
punishment.
> >
Who do I ask about this and where would I start in terms of a decent local
event?
> >
Crispin Oliver

by Dave B Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:00 pm
Hi Cath,

Having done a fair bit of 'cross down the years, I felt obliged to chip in with my 2p worth. I'd agree with the point about bikes - best to go down the cheap 'n' cheerful route for starters (my first machine was put together on a budget around a 2nd hand frame), then you can upgrade to high-end bike later on if you decide to stick with the sport long-term. If not, you're left with a bike that you can also use for training, commuting etc. without having paid the earth for it. As for races, I don't think there are any left locally for this season. The British Cycling website usually has race dates available for the coming season from July/August onwards. There are also a number of summertime events in some areas. The YCCA website carries details of local events for winter and summer seasons, and that can be found at http://www.yorkshirecyclocross.org.uk
Hope this info is of help.

Dave B