Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Tullio Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:55 am
I'll be leading a small group around on the ride for those first timers who fancy a crack.

We'll be aiming to keep the group together to support any weaker riders and a target average of 16-17mph.

Anyone else who wants to join us is welcome.

by Jon G Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:35 am
Hi Paul

Potential first timer here if i can make arragments to make it on Sunday. Could yourself or anyone else tell me exactly where it finishes in Stamford Bridge . I'm sure I've read it somewhere but now cant find it.

Jon

by Tullio Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:36 pm
I believe it's the Scout Hut in Low Catton Road.

by paulM Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:21 pm
Thanks Paul. Because British Cycling have jumped on the challenge ride bandwagon they've suddenly upped the insurance levys and dreamt up some rules for organised rides. As I have done it all official, we'd better try to stick to these rules. Therefore if we have a turnout of 60 like last year we will have to set off in 3 groups. BC also provide signing on sheets so participants will be signed on 20 per sheet as that is the max number permitted in a single group. The front groups can be similar ability and set off a couple of minutes apart with the intention of regrouping somewhere after we turn left off the B1363 (I feel sure these will split again soon after on the way up to Crayke).
The steady group can set off last. Paul - It would be good if someone like yourself could try and keep the group together and stay with any one who gets dropped. I've spoken to Bernard and he is also hoping to help with this.

For anyone riding this for the first time there is no time limits for this ride. We normally award certificates to Clifton riders later in the year at the club dinner but if any non members would like one please let me have your address after the event.
Entry fee this year will be £2, and £1 for under 18's.

The finish will be in Stamford Bridge at the Scout Hall on High Catton Road where refreshments will be available.

Although a detailed route sheet will be available at the start and is on the website, I would recommend anyone riding for the first time to familiarise themselves with the route beforehand as it will be unmarshalled and without direction arrows.

Apparently under 18's will need a parental consent form which means unless they bring their parents with them to Exhibition Sq will need to have this already filled out - a form is on the British Cycling website under Event Organiser in the Everday Cycling section.

See you Sunday - I think snow is forcast!

Paul Musgrave
Event Organiser

by mal Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:31 am
paulM wrote:
See you Sunday - I think snow is forcast!

Paul Musgrave
Event Organiser

According to BBC 5 day forecast on t'internet its going to be heavy snow and 29mph SE winds - terrific!

by AndrewM Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:34 am
Hi, as someone new to here and road cycling, what's the protocol for Sunday if I do it?

I'd expect to get round in between 4 to 5 hours on current fitness - is that acceptable or am I likely to be the straggler?

Cheers for any help.

by Arthur Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:46 am
Andrew, you'll be fine. Just ask for Benard/Paul Crane at the start and go round with that group.

by AndrewM Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:55 am
Arthur wrote:Andrew, you'll be fine. Just ask for Benard/Paul Crane at the start and go round with that group.

Cheers for that.

by IanH Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:56 pm
Ive taken a look at the Google map of the route but there is no detail of which roads are going to be used, just an outline of the shape of the route.

Could anybody put a route discription on so that first timers and people like myself who did it last year but can't remember exactly where it went could use to familiarise ourselves before the weekend.

Cheers.

by Arthur Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:01 pm
Hi,

You can zoom in on that map and it should then show you the roads.

Arthur

by cath Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:08 pm
I can email you a pdf of the route map/course description later tonight (once Paul has altered the finish) if you like?

by Arthur Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:10 pm
Cath - if you email me to that as well I'll add it to the reliability page.

by IanH Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:52 pm
Thanks guys that will be most helpful.