Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Rob Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:20 am
Just starting a weekend review thread in part to answer Jon G's post about the floods. Am sure Jon doesn't need me or Arthur to tell him that the Sustrans path is usually drier - good access from the Stillingfleet - Escrick road which happens to be the point where the tarmac starts. I heard that the Saturday cafe run had to divert because of the floods at one point. The Sunday training ride had nothing more than a few deepish puddles to contend with.

In and amongst all the above I think there was a lot of riding going on? Am told that the Saturday cafe run ended up at Raskelf and got the thick end of 70 miles in. Am also told that the Sat training ride split into two groups to give 2 and 3 hour rides, and there were a few out. How was it?

Helen and Bernard set off on a traditional clubrun from the Square on Sunday - report?

My riding of the weekend was the Sunday training ride - Muzzy, Colin H, Andy J, Nick B and Charlie. A bit of a loop up around Kilburn/Bagby/Topcliffe - there's some really great roads up there. Stats of 69miles @ 18.4 door to door. Felt a bit easier than last week as quite a bit flatter.

*Everybody* is either recovering from a cold or has one - never known a winter like it!

by Tullio Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:32 am
10 MTBers headed to the Moors on Sunday, including some new faces. Despite a misty start at Osmotherley, we had a mostly dry ride and avoided the worst of the mud on a hilly route around the Moors above Hawnby, Boltby and Kepwick. Some stonking climbs and technical downhill meant everyone was ready for the cafe at The Chequers at the end. Happy to report no colds and no floods.

by Jon G Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:41 am
Thanks for that Rob. This coming weekend I will join the bike path at Stillingfleet because I cant see the flooding improving by then. I would join it at Selby but as you know the surface is not that good thats why I go through Naburn plus its the quickest way to the square. I could drive and park up but that sort of defeats the object to me. If its close enough to cycle I will cycle. I hope to to see Kevin and Co. this Saturday.

by mal Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:11 pm
The grand comeback begins. 45(ish) steady miles around stearsby, yearsley and easingwold - a lot closer to 18.4kph than mph though.

by Andy J Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:18 pm
Saturady saw 10 riders out on the training ride, route out through Buttercrambe, Acklam and Langton to join the traditional route at Malton. However the 2 hour ride turned off to kirkham and back in through Crambe and Bossall. Sunday training ride was easier than the previous week and as Rob says good roads.